Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan/virus keeps returning [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Let me know what is outstanding :)

Advertisements

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi Essexboy:

i think the system is going to be ok now. though i'll continue to receive stop script notices and window debugger but i can put up w/that. better than the alternative. web access and other programs are still slow on initial start up but that could be the ram issue as the system slows whenever there might be too much going on and it'll certainly crash once i open up too many firefox windows (too impatient). let's say my pc is running w/in acceptable levels and what is outstanding is the way you help me at the drop of a hat. i can't THANK YOU enough. so THANK YOU ever so much for all of your help and i hope i don't have to bother you in the future unless it's because i finally find the time to take the course (hopefully sometime in the not too too distant future) and i have some questions.

best of viewing w/the rest of wc2010 and hope england goes onto the next round!

"sutter jr."

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are the scripts and debuggers with chrome or IE ?

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
neither. i don't use chrome nor have i installed it. and i stay away from ie. the debugger just pops up now and again whenever i'm on firefox while the stop script almost always rears its ugly head when i open firefox for the first session.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have no script on FF

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
just added it and also installed the registry booster and ran that as well. results (see attached):

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Alice/Application%20Data/Uniblue/RegistryBooster/history/latest_scan_results.html

assuming i should fix errors? getting a low on virtual memory warning now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG

Edited by sutter's mill, 20 June 2010 - 03:15 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Well my advice would be to uninstall the registry cleaner it can do more harm than good. The registry is just a text file and takes only milli seconds to read - so if it was even twice the size it would not slow you down. Read this for a little info

The Registry is an enormous database and all this “Cleaning” really doesn’t amount to much…I’ve said this before, but I liken it to “sweeping out one parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana” … a registry “tweak” here and there is desirable or even necessary sometimes, but random “cleaning”, especially for the novice, is inviting disaster.

I also would like someone to show me any hard evidence that registry cleaning actually improves performance. (Unless there is a specific problem that has to be addressed by making changes to the registry).

Sorry to go on like this, but I feel there is way to much Registry “Cleaning” going on these days just for the sake of “cleaning”.

You are better off emptying your temporary files daily for a better boost :)

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
done. will noscript cure the pop ups?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Should do -but as I say I do not use FF, I am quite happy with IE8 :)

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok good to know, not even sure what ie i have. how about i update you in a week or so if there's any more problems? that way you can enjoy the match and see if they make it onto tho the next round.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING SO FAR!!!!!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Enjoy :)

sutter's mill

sutter's mill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi Essexboy:

system still bogs down to unresponsive but corrects itself after a malware quick scan. script issues still pop up but overall, other than the crashing, it's as good as it's going to be and i THANK YOU so much for all of your assistance.

good luck vs. germany!!!!

cheers!

sutter jr.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.