Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange occurrence with modem and router hook up

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Im using a Windows XP Dell Dimension 2400 with a Century Link modem and an Airlink 101 router hard wired DSL connection. Usually when i have to reset i usually just lose a connection altogether but last night i had a weird experience where it was going in and out of connection, some pages would load some pages wouldn't, some stuff would stream, then it wouldn't stream. Is this usual?

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Depower all devices then connect your PC directly to the DSL modem with an ethernet cable. If the problem clears up the router is likely causing the problem. If the problem does not clear up the issue could be with the modem, the PC, or a line issue.

Do you have microfilters on each and every phone line in the house?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Depower all devices then connect your PC directly to the DSL modem with an ethernet cable. If the problem clears up the router is likely causing the problem. If the problem does not clear up the issue could be with the modem, the PC, or a line issue.

Do you have microfilters on each and every phone line in the house?

Depowering cleared everything up, I don't have any filters i have a direct line. Is this usual with a DSL modems? Ive always had cable before and it would just lose a connection altogether when it needed to be reset.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Some folks obtain DSL from the same people who supply the POTS landline. In this case you will have a jack in several areas. For DSL to work properly, one should have a microfilter for every phone in house.

Other folks have what is known as naked DSL or dryloop DSL which is what you describe.

If your connection drops in and out several times a week, bypass the router and connect directly to the DSL modem. If the problem persists, call Century Link and ask them to check the line and possibly replace the modem.