Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MIE restore utility and image HELP

• Please log in to reply

FarahXuxa

FarahXuxa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i got my hp mini 100 compressed so i had the bootmgr display before i open my computer
i did some research beforehand and found an answer here on your forums so i trust you geeks
now onto the MIE issue, my HP Mini is running a Windows XP
the question is , what happens if I use this computer (running Windows 7) as the image for it? What will happen to my laptop?
will it carry over the windows 7 of my pc, and will i have to have new product keys and stuff like that?
my dad will kill me if he finds out I jacked up the laptop.
please help, thanks in advance

damsel in EXTREME distress,
Farah

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Please explain better what you're trying to do -- I can't make sense of your post.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
There are going to be serious problems with what you want to do.

A image of windows 7 from 1 computer and then used on another computer (your mini) will have issues.
1. The license for the win 7 belongs on the computer it is on. If you place the win 7 image on the mini you will have an illegal license.
2. The image won't work because the win 7 image will have all the board drivers for its computer. They will conflict with the drivers on the board for the mini. The mini might not even boot up.

my dad will kill me if he finds out I jacked up the laptop.

Good enough reason to not do it.

FarahXuxa

FarahXuxa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply 123Runner. So what do you think I should do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first thing you need to do is make sure your Mini will even support Win7 by downloading and running The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system, programs and drivers are compatible with Win7.
Next you should purchase a copy of Win 7 to do this correctly and to have a legitimate and legal registration number.

FarahXuxa

FarahXuxa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The first thing you need to do is make sure your Mini will even support Win7 by downloading and running The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system, programs and drivers are compatible with Win7.
Next you should purchase a copy of Win 7 to do this correctly and to have a legitimate and legal registration number.

I don't really want to have Windows 7 on my laptop.
Anyways, additional information : I figured out that my dad has the same Windows XP Home as my Mini.