Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SCSI hard drive and it's writing/reading speed

• Please log in to reply

Rapide

Rapide

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I'm having a hard time with my SCSI disk and Im really unhappy with how it performs in benchmark tests. It doesn't respond as fast as I think it normally should be and compared to other people it's benchmark tests is way below pair :tazz: Like somethings wrong with the configuration or something, but I've tried so long now and I'm really out of clue what to do next!

Mainboard;
Abit Ic7-Max3
Seagate Cheetah 15k.3 18,4 GB 68 pins Ultra-320
Tekram SCSI DC-390U3W 68 pins Ultra-160

Here is a picture of one of my tests, and below is a test done by a website called hardware.no
Posted Image

Posted Image

When you compare the tests to eachother the writing speed is alot lower than what my disk manage to do. Ive tried about anything I know, and any experience and help I would appreciate alot!

Im btw using firmware 2.19 on controller and running clean xp drivers for disk/controller

;)

Edited by Rapide, 22 May 2005 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is the second test also a test of your scsi drive or is it of a similar drive & you are using it for comparison?

Rapide

Rapide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Is the second test also a test of your scsi drive or is it of a similar drive & you are using it for comparison?

View Post

The second test is done with a similiar drive and im using it for comparison.

The benchmark test can be downloaded here btw for test;
Atto disk test

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Your read speeds aren't too terrible but the write speeds are obviously slow. What are your scsi bios settings set to?

Rapide

Rapide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by scsi bios settings? In the bios there are no settings for scsi. Its unsupported by mainboard so I set boot settings to add-in-device and choose pci slot. In the pci slot I have Tekram SCSI DC-390U3W 68 pins Ultra-160 Controller, which connects it all..

My card checks for scsi devices after the initial POST has been runned trough. Im beginning to wonder if it can have anything with the controller being a ultra 160 and the disk of being ultra-320? At first I didn't think it would have anything to do with it because the speed was lowered by other things, but now that I can't find any solutions im beginning to wonder. Can it be?

Ask me all questions you got, im very eager to get this fixed.
Thanks for reply

marccouture

marccouture

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Im beginning to wonder if it can have anything with the controller being a ultra 160 and the disk of being ultra-320? At first I didn't think it would have anything to do with it because the speed was lowered by other things, but now that I can't find any solutions im beginning to wonder. Can it be?

Ask me all questions you got, im very eager to get this fixed.
Thanks for reply

View Post

Your benchmark numbers seem to indicate that's the case.

Another thing you might want to check, as alluded above, is if the SCSI adapter BIOS settings are configured to communicate with your drive at its top native speed. Some Adaptec controllers, for instance, are set to lower speeds by default for compatibility reasons.

Best of luck!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer.
Your scsi card will have it's own bios (like the motherboard does but different). When you first power up the system, after the motherboards bios POST test and before windows starts to load, the scsi adapter detects the scsi drives, right?
At this point, you should be able to access the scsi bios (setup) by pressing a particular key combination. This is usually one of the following : CTRL+A, CTRL+I or CTRL+C. Most adapters will display an on screen message telling you which keys to press, unless this message has been disabled in the scsi bios.

Let me now what the configuration settings are in the bios. I suspect however, this may be an issue with write-caching on the drive.

marccouture

marccouture

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Manual link: http://www.tekram.co...t=DC-390U3D_U3W

P. 20 and following describe what options are available after pressing Ctrl-C at card boot-up.

Best of luck!

Rapide

Rapide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for all your help guys! But Ive testing everything from mainboard, kontroller and disk jumpers but I finally found out the problem last night. ;)

Got a tips from a guy at a forum having the same issue as me, and he had found out that it was some driver issues related to windows.

There is a perception that has been around since not long after the release of Windows XP that it has a SCSI drive performance related problem. This spread somewhat to the perception that perhaps SCSI on Windows in general, or all drive performance in general under Windows XP, has lacklustre performance. Many will simply have heard that there's some Windows/XP/SCSI problem but don't know much about it. This 'rumour' of sorts is generally due to one specific issue.

So after I downloaded a made crack for the problem my benchmark went straight of to this;

Posted Image

Got to love Microsoft =] hehe :tazz: