Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP no space problem. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shulman

shulman

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
Good day !
As a continue to this tread my last discussion
Im haveing problems of my disk space on WinXP 40GB drive.
When I cleaned almost all files on my cpu after some time its back to 0kb space left.
even after a few complete scans of MS protection, Avast AV, Ccleaner, defragment and other progrems I still cant find the reasen for this problem.
I have also tried everything the guys here suggested with no luck.
They adressed me to this forum to mabey try other ways to resolve this.

PLEASE help !!!
tell me what else can I do to identify the reason for this bug/virus.

Regards,
Shulman

Edited by shulman, 10 June 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would tend to agree with Skeptic that "documents and settings" folder is huge - so run Windirstat again and expand the "documents and settings" by clicking the + sign next to it and post that screen shot in your previous thread. I will monitor it and if it looks like malware I will resume in this thread

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you post the MBAM log please so that I can see what it did

shulman

shulman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Could you post the MBAM log please so that I can see what it did

I cant post the log because after installing the Malawarbites software, Windoes startup askes me to put an activation code.
Where can I find this code please?
Now I cant do nothing because of Windows destroyed.
Why did the Malware guide instruct you to do certain actions without telling the side effects it causes?

Regards,
Shulman

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
First I must ask was this a legal copy of windows ? Also this is only the second time that I have seen MBAM make a system unbootable, and with several million users that is exceptionally rare

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing. This programme should allow you net access from the infected system

File details OTLPENet.exe
Bytes=126,850,486
MB=120.9
MD5=8A7C5BA1C92552ADDCC5E468D0AA069A

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Drag and drop this attached scan.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box
    [attachment=42518:scan.txt]
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

shulman

shulman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

First I must ask was this a legal copy of windows ? Also this is only the second time that I have seen MBAM make a system unbootable, and with several million users that is exceptionally rare

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing. This programme should allow you net access from the infected system

Bytes=126,850,486
MB=120.9

• Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.

Yes Essexboy, of course its a legel copy, I just cant find the box now and every attempts to catch the MS service were too slow so far So im still waiting for their reply.
Just didnt exp[ected to require this code again at this point.
Also I cant follow your instructiob because I dont havfe a CD burner, besides the cd drive is a little defected especially with loading burnt cds.
When tried in safe mode it didnt let me the actovation code or a network accebilty - So now Im doing everything from a laptop.
I tought Belarc adviser will help me find the code in thementime but as I said I

shulman

shulman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Bytes=126,850,486
MB=120.9

• OTL should now start.

Yes Essexboy, of course its a legel copy, I just cant find the box now and every attempts to catch the MS service were too slow so far So im still waiting for their reply.
Just didnt exp[ected to require this code again at this point.
Also I cant follow your instructiob because I dont havfe a CD burner, besides the cd drive is a little defected especially with loading burnt cds.
When tried in safe mode it didnt let me the actovation code or a network accebilty - So now Im doing everything from a laptop.
I tought Belarc adviser will help me find the code in thementime but as I said, i cant accsess Windows at all.
What do you recomend me to do?

The truth, I think im giving up.
Just dont have the knoledge to deal with all of this (and thats why I adreessed you in the first place).
Waiting for your kind reply.

Regards,
Shulman

Edited by shulman, 12 June 2010 - 10:17 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have a usable USB drive ?

I would like you to create a bootable flash drive with OTLPE:

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPE.iso from one of the following links and save it to your Desktop mirror1 or mirror2
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPE.iso by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.

Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

shulman

shulman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your help Essexboy but as I said when followd the Malware instruction and installing the Mawarebytes Windows require a password now.
That mean I cant do nothing on the desktop because I dont have access to Windows by all ways i have tried.
At least before I could enter windows.
I think I'll format the cpu but I just tought that you will help me figure out what happend since you know to identify these kind of problems, but i guess it only become worse then before.

Regards,
Shulman

Edited by shulman, 13 June 2010 - 04:24 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We have a tutorial here which may help

The OTLPE programme will work outside of windows and allow you to access your data

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.