Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can my boss get files from my own laptop if I use his network?

• Please log in to reply

poshfire

poshfire

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Geeks to go,
I know that when I use my work computer (the one that they supply) I am probably monitored. Recently, my workplace opened their network so that staff could use their own laptops and get an internet connection on site. I realise that what I do in working hours over their network can probably be monitored even when I use my own laptop (can it?) but:
I need to know how possible and likely it is that my boss can/will get a) files that are stored on my laptop just because I have occasionally logged in to their network using my own laptop b)access to details of websites I've visited whilst at home, in my own time, using a different network etc. but the same laptop. C) personal emails sent and received and/or access to my email account.
I also need to know if it is likely/possible that if, in my lunch break for just one minute I accessed my personal email on a works computer, it means that they could have access to my whole email account?
Thanks for your help.
Poshfiredgirl

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Recently, my workplace opened their network so that staff could use their own laptops and get an internet connection on site.

that's a pretty stupid move on their part.

I realise that what I do in working hours over their network can probably be monitored even when I use my own laptop (can it?) but:

depending on the environment, they can probably monitor your internet traffic

I need to know how possible and likely it is that my boss can/will get a) files that are stored on my laptop just because I have occasionally logged in to their network using my own laptop b)access to details of websites I've visited whilst at home, in my own time, using a different network etc. but the same laptop. C) personal emails sent and received and/or access to my email account.

theoretically possible, but not terribly likely* but probably illegal**.

I also need to know if it is likely/possible that if, in my lunch break for just one minute I accessed my personal email on a works computer, it means that they could have access to my whole email account?

this one, in theory, yes they COULD have access depending on the environment.

*for them to gain access to your personal files on your computer, or previous internet history they would really need to do one of a couple of things, either they would have to install tracking software on your laptop, or they'd have to hack into your laptop while it's on their network.

**you really need to read your company's computer usage policy and talk to H.R.. Depending on how the policy is worded they may have reserved the right to inspect just about anything. they may have the right to track anything/everything you do even if it's your own computer. they may not, it depends on the verbiage of the policy.