Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Officejet 4215 Doesn't Like Envelopes

• Please log in to reply

DavidCahill

DavidCahill

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought an Officejet 4215 several years ago, and am generally satisfied with it. *But* it resists printing envelopes, even though there is a separate tray for them.

I originally used 24-weight envelopes, but the printer increasingly failed to feed them all the way through. Then I switched to 20-weight envelopes. Again, though, as time went by, the printer increasingly fails to feed them properly.

The manual does not give any way to maintain or adjust the printer. There also apparently is no "thickness" adjustment for paper.

Is there any hope for my printer, or should I just buy another kind?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The manual states "Do not use shiny or embossed envelopes or those with windows or clasps"

Page 5 shows a rear clean out door.

4215 Manual

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Is there any hope for my printer, or should I just buy another kind?

Yes, but probably yes for another printer too - though not necessarily another kind. Note the OJ 4215 was an entry-level, budget priced multifunction printing device from the start - which was in 2004. You don't say how many years ago or how heavy a printer user you are, but I note it received a good review from PCMag, saying,

the 4215 offers better output quality than most AIOs in its price class, which makes it a reasonable choice.

All printing devices are very mechanical, and therefore highly subject to mechanical failures and general "wear and tear". You say you have generally been happy with this machine, I personally like HPs and don't think you have a better chance of getting a more reliable device simply by changing brands. If you have had that machine for several years, and your biggest complaint is it does not grab envelopes, I'd say that HP product has served you well - considering your initial investment.

I say yes for there being hope because grabbing the paper is a common and I suppose inevitable problem for all printers, copiers, paper feeders, typewriters!, and the like - pretty much anything that uses rubber rollers and wheels to grab and move paper. Over a relatively short period of time (depending on how often used and paper quality - dust and roughness) these rubber parts become worn, smooth and sometimes glazed and slick. The rubber needs to be scuffed up so it can get a grip. If you are skillful, have steady hands, and can figure out how to access all these paper moving parts, you can use a rubber rejuvenator which will clean and "dress" or "condition" the rubber so it can get a grip. But you can only do this one or two times with success because you can't stop the rubber from wearing away from normal use - and simply getting hard from age - that's just the "nature" of rubber.

You could take the printer to a shop for a thorough cleaning and rubber conditioning, but the labor costs may not be the best economical choice compared to the costs of a new device (and the lower prices of ink on the newest printers).

As far as envelopes specifically, what I eventually had to do on both my last printers, and expect I will have to one day on this new one is to put gentle pressure on the envelope, very gently pushing it into the grabbing mechanism just as I click to print. This pressure was enough so the enveloped was grabbed securely and immediately at the start, where the problems always tended to be. Once grabbed correctly, it flowed through the printer just fine. That was fine for me who printed one or two envelopes a week. If you do mail merges or otherwise print many envelopes a day, holding your hand up there all day would be impractical. That said, if you regularly print stacks of envelopes you should consider a printer more designed for commercial, or full time office use.