Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Running Multiple Monitors.

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello.
I was wonderinf if anyone could help me.

I have 2 monitors both exactly the same "Dell E193FP".
The motherboard i have, i think anyway (it says on the quick installation guide)
ASRock
K10N78FullHD-hSLI R2.0
It has a Nvidia GeForce 8200 graphics chip with a VGA port and a DVI port, but with in the right it has the little slit in the middle but no pin holes around it.
I have a normal vga to vga cable for one monitor, but a DVI to vga cable for the second monitor but the monitor doesn't work.

Has anyone got any ideas?

PS. I've just been accepted for Geek Uni, will this effect me joining?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
which one of these connections are you talking about and where are you talking about having this connection?
Posted Image

googeling your board shows that it's got a VGA port (the blue one with 9 holes in it) and an HDMI port that supports DVI-D. does your monitor have a single channel DVI-D port on it? if so you need an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. then you'd plug one monitor into the VGA port, and the other into the HDMI port

and no, this topic won't hurt your Geek U status, that only applies to malware topics

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
DVI-D (Dual Link) is the connection i have.
On the monitors all i have is the standard vga port.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well then you're a bit out of luck. you'd need to have an HDMI to VGA converter (which do exist but aren't cheap). i've not seen to many of them around but i know they exist somewhere.

the problem is that DVI-D is a pure digital signal and VGA is pure analog. there's no way to just put a cable between a DVI-D port and have it automatically translate over to VGA.

your other option would be to get a different monitor that has HDMI input

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi thanks for the help =)
Would you say this is what i do need then?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5d291c6f07

or would you recommend a new graphics card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you would also need to get an hdmi to dvi-d adapter too

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So would these 2 things solve my problems?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item335d14cad7

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item414d8abc53

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
not on their own no.

the 1.5M HDMI to SVGA cable is just a cable it's not a converter (says so in the description)the

"HDMI FEMALE to DVI-D MALE ADAPTER CONNECTOR" would work with the "For PC DVI-D Male to VGA HDMI Female Converter Splitter" because you need it to go from HDMI female to DVI-D female for the two to work together...this is also getting into a bunch of cables and wires, and with video, the more connections between the start and end of the signal, the worse the results are going to be

i also can't assure you that the "For PC DVI-D Male to VGA HDMI Female Converter Splitter" would work at all, but it does specifically say in the description that it should work for HDMI on a computer to VGA

the quickest 2 sollutions would be to get another monitor with HDMI inputs, or get a video card with 2 VGA outs, or a VGA out and a DVI-A (make sure you read that correctly) out

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
right ok then,
thanks for all your help =)

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
sorry to keep asking questions but do you think this would be ok, as its very hard to find dual vga cards.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1e5c4c8aa4

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
usb video adapters have been known to work (i can't say anything about that one as i've not used it), but sometimes they can be a little troublesome and cause issues.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
do you know of any half decent dual vga cards?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a hardware nerd so i can't really suggest specific models. i just know what works in a general sense.

any video card by the major manufacturers (nvidia, ati, etc...) should have dual output ability. if you get one that has 1 vga port and one DVI-A port (which most video cards that have a VGA and a DVI port, the DVI port is going to be DVI-A) then it will come with a DVI-A to VGA adapter

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i know you said your not a hardware nerd but it seems to me this would be ok, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item27b1c88888