Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problem Re ISPs..

• Please log in to reply

praglen

praglen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have ADSL, up to now my only choice in this city in Thailand - not Bangkok) and I pay about $40/month for an advertised 5mb/ps download , but in actuality, get 2.8 mb/ps. I have a chance to get a fiber optic connection for half that amount - 4mb/ps, but in actuality,I get 2.7mb/ps. I can also upgrade with fiber optic to 10mb/ps with an actual speed of 8.87mb/ps for $6 more/month.
Will the difference in transmissions make a difference in the quality, smoothness of video and audio? For example, with my ADSL, I connect to Slingbox with a not-very-sharp picture and a staccato sound stream. Will upgrading to 10mb/ps make a noticeable difference? And I use wi-fi, with a router, to connect to my GF's netbook PC. Would that make a difference?

My PC specs:
Toshiba Satellite L505D, with Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Athlon II Dual Core M300, 3GB Ram, 320 HDD

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes, you would notice the difference. 8.87Mb/s is more than 3 times as fast as 2.7Mb/s.

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Of course, it's 3 times fASTER. What I really wanted to know - and maybe I failed to emphasize it - was whether the download speed from a fiber optic supplier is as fast, faster or slower than the same download from an ADSL supplier. Some people tell me when traffic is heavy on the ADSL line, it slows down the speed. Is that also the case with fiber optic?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Of course, it's 3 times fASTER. What I really wanted to know - and maybe I failed to emphasize it - was whether the download speed from a fiber optic supplier is as fast, faster or slower than the same download from an ADSL supplier. Some people tell me when traffic is heavy on the ADSL line, it slows down the speed. Is that also the case with fiber optic?

the download speed itself is the same on both technologies...assuming that the connection is rated the same.

if you're able to get 8.5mbps on dsl it's the same as 8.5mbps on fiber.

the difference (and the point i think you're trying to get at) is that fiber is MUCH less effected by network usage. DSL is effected HEAVILY by a couple of factors, #1 how far away you are from your ISP equipment, #2 how many people in your area are online at the same time.

fiber isn't effected by distance. and it's much less effected by regional usage. it's capable of handling a lot more simultaneous traffic so you'll notice quite a bit less of a slow down if your whole neighborhood is surfing at the same time.

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
THAT'S the answer I was looking for. thanks. I'll now push for the fiber optic connection and if I'm dissatisfied with the quality of either the audio or video, I'll ratchet up to 10mb, since it's only $6 more, as I stated.