Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How much Memory do i really have?

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am looking into getting a laptop with 8GB of ram, i looked at my computer that im using now and it says in Windows XP that i have 1GB of ram. Is that all together or how much im using?

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
jckinnick-

Where are you getting your information that you have 1 gig? It's likely the amount installed on the system.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
To see the total amount of RAM available to Windows XP, click Start, right-click My Computer, select Properties, then click the General tab (if not already selected):

Posted Image

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If you want to know how much the computer will take then use a online memory scanner.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

To see the total amount of RAM available to Windows XP, click Start, right-click My Computer, select Properties, then click the General tab (if not already selected):

Posted Image

Yes this is where im seeing what Ram i have. Is that using or what i have left free to use?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is your total Ram Memory installed.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Windows xp can only utilize 3.5 GIG of ram, so do some research on how much to spend on RAM before you leap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Windows xp can only utilize 3.5 GIG of ram, so do some research on how much to spend on RAM before you leap.

Partially correct. Windows XP 32 bit can only utilize up to 3.5 gigs of ram.
64 bit version can utilize more. Your version is a 32 bit version so you will be stopped at 3.5 gigs.
Also depending on what the capacity of the motherboard may allow even less.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Already gave that info in post 4 but OP is yet to go there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The laptop im thinking about buying is 8GB of Ram. I was just trying to make a comparison of what im using now to the laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
8 gigs of memory you should have no problem with running multiple applications at the same time.
What cpu is in this laptop or do you have a spec sheet on it we can look at?
What is your main use of the laptop?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

8 gigs of memory you should have no problem with running multiple applications at the same time.
What cpu is in this laptop or do you have a spec sheet on it we can look at?
What is your main use of the laptop?

Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Quad Core Processor 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)

Im hoping to use it as my main computer.