Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet only works with router plugged in.

• Please log in to reply

hieroo

hieroo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I am having trouble downloading certain versions of a new game that is in Alpha and they say I have to change all these open ports on my router or just cut my router out for a while. I would like my computer to be able to be directly connected to the cable modem but for some reason when I have just cord connected directly from the cable modem to my computer it says I have limited connection activity and internet does not work. But once I plug it into my router the internet works fine. How can I reset my settings some how to be able to not have to use my router. I want my internet to work without having to use the router. Thanks. Windows XP home-edition.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi hieroo ... :) ..:)

power cycle the modem and computer...
turn off computer...plug computer Ethernet cable to modem...
unplug modem for 5 minutes...plug modem back in and wait until all the lites are steady..it will take a couple of minutes...
power up computer and try connecting to the internet...

Edited by happyrock, 11 June 2010 - 12:17 PM.