Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repartition When Upgrade From Vista?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thought I did this last night but can't find post now.

Wife has a preloaded Vista laptop which I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 (purchased an upgrade DVD so it's legal). Her HDD was set up with 'system' and 'data' partitions ... the 'system' has only 12Gb free and the 'data' has 94Gb free.

I'd like to repartition when upgrade is done (custom install?) ... is that possible?

I saw a post on another forum that says something about using a 2nd upgrade of Windows 7 to clean install (after the initial upgrade from Vista to Windows 7) ? I don't mind doing that, if it's necessary, but can it be done at the first upgrade?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
typically upgrade installations don't allow you to modify the drive structure (partitions), as it simply rips out the old OS files that it needs to replace and drops in the new ones. it doesn't go through the normal partition creation process.

you could use something like GParted to resize the partitions BEFORE doing the upgrade. they've got instructions on how to make a live cd, and how to resize partitions safely. i've used it many times to resize partitions on many computers and i've not had any issues with it.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you, Dsenette.

Sounds good.

Two questions: since I have a windows PC, that means I use use GParted-Live .... Right?

Assuming that's the case ... do you know the difference between
GParted-Live-stable and 0.5.2-9 (one is 2.7Gb vs 238.5 Mb)?