Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a little help looking for a new video card

• Please log in to reply

Rodimus1138

Rodimus1138

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry if this isn't the right forum but I'm looking to buy a new video card because I want to start playing some games on my pc but my current video card isn't working for me games are laggy and crash on me and while the rest of my systems (except the RAM) seem to meet the minimum requirements my video card does not but I have no idea how to install it or if it's possible on my pc the video card I currently have is a Intel 82945G Express chipset.

And before anyone says buy a new PC I'd perfer not to at the moment I just want a video card capable of playing Star Wars Galaxies and Empire at War without the tremendous lag and crashing >_<

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need more information. What is your computer make and model please?

Rodimus1138

Rodimus1138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it says Compaq Presario SR5010NX on the side of my pc >_<

Rodimus1138

Rodimus1138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Need more information. What is your computer make and model please?

Ok if it helps here's the info from sysspec

Windows: Microsoft Windows VISTA, Version 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18904
Memory (RAM): 503 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Celeron® D CPU 3.46GHz
CPU Speed: 3454.7 MHz
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
Display Adapters: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors: 1x; Generic PnP Monitor |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
CD / DVD Drives: E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H652M | F: UFYDO GPQRGTQB8X
COM Ports: NOT Present
LPT Ports: NOT Present
Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 142.0GB | D: 7.1GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 35.8GB | D: 887.7MB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: RZ537AA-ABA SR5010NX
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: | |
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ECS Livermore
Modem: Not detected
:

I know my RAM is downright terrible but I'm going to upgrade that along with the video card if possible

Edited by Rodimus1138, 11 June 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically even if you do put a new graphics card in, it's not going to make a whole load of difference, because at the end of the day, it's not a gaming machine. You have a very slow processor (the 3.46 figure means nothing these days) with little if any processor upgrade option.

Even if you do put a new graphics card in it, I feel you will still be somewhat disappointed. You will still need to fork out for graphics, memory and a very low-end dual-core processor to get the most out of the new card. You may want to consider putting the money you'd spend on this machine towards a newer one as you will get better performance from it.

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Manufacturers specs for your machine here - http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

In addition to the post above, you have to realise that mass produced machines such as this tend to have minimal power supplies installed, and that newer video cards need a lot of power so you are probably looking at something like a Corsair VX 450W PSU as well.

However, your PC does have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot available.

A few days ago, I installed an XFX GeForce GT240 on my Pavilion a1555a. This is a tiny card with 1GB of DDR5 RAM and so far is out performing my brute of an 8800GTS and cost about $US100.

You do really need to consider whether it is worth putting a lot of money into your PC, or putting it towards a new build.

Cheers

Rodimus1138

Rodimus1138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Manufacturers specs for your machine here - http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

In addition to the post above, you have to realise that mass produced machines such as this tend to have minimal power supplies installed, and that newer video cards need a lot of power so you are probably looking at something like a Corsair VX 450W PSU as well.

However, your PC does have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot available.

A few days ago, I installed an XFX GeForce GT240 on my Pavilion a1555a. This is a tiny card with 1GB of DDR5 RAM and so far is out performing my brute of an 8800GTS and cost about $US100.

You do really need to consider whether it is worth putting a lot of money into your PC, or putting it towards a new build.

Cheers

Thats the thing though I want really don't want to get a new pc just to play 1 or 2 games released before 2006 so I don't want something extravagant or with any real power I just want to be able to buy a video card that'll get the job done since I doubt I'll be playing too many games on my pc aside from things like World of Warcraft

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am not a gamer and just wanted a good card to run Folding@Home which it seems to be doing nicely.

We will see if the gurus can come up with some more suggestions for you.

Cheers