Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wh=ere is Windows Movie Maker?

• Please log in to reply

pawprint

pawprint

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I recently formatted and reinstalled XP using my store bought XP SP2 CD I slip-streamed it with SP3 to install.
Went well no problems.
Today I wanted to edit a video only to discover I don't have Movie Maker. I thought "no problem I can install it from the CD:". I tried Add/Remove Windows components and it doesn't appear on the CD. I browsed both the slipstream and the original CD's and I can't find it.
After scouring MS I find a page that tells me I can download it with SP2, and gave a link....that doesn't exist.
Surely there is a someway to find this???
Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi pawprint.

Movie maker should be there on your computer, go to this page, http://windows.micro...ows-movie-maker and read the article.

If you still can't find it, you will be able to download and install Movie Maker Live.

Let us know the result.

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Doesn't seem to work with XP .
Thank

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Windows movie maker is in XP. Its in Vista (I believe) but not in Windows 7

As I recall it is not a installed program per se. You have to install it.

If you do a search there should be moviemk.exe that resides in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker

Double click on the executable and it will install. You will then find the program link under start...programs...accessories.

123runner

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Movie Maker is installed by default in XP and Vista. In Windows 7 it's part of Windows Live.

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Movie Maker is NOT present in my XP SP3. It is not found on any search of my hard drive.
If it is on the XP CD I am unable to find it. I expect it can be extracted but I am unable to do that.
Thanks for all the responses.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Try this http://www.microsoft...oviemaker2.mspx

Mojojos

Mojojos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can find windows movie maker when you go to msn.com and download the messenger - the movie maker is included in the download options. Hope that helps some :)

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The Movie Maker Download link goes to a 2004 page to update Windows to SP2, Does not work.
Windows Live Messenger shows http://explore.live....em-requirements
Not for XP

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Found an old copy here http://www.brotherso...load-67210.html

pawprint

pawprint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Got it, many thanks.
I wonder why my searches missed that.

NcCrIuS

NcCrIuS

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hey pawprint u may close ur topic now bcoz its solved

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible