Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

overheated computer

• Please log in to reply

bobby72

bobby72

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
well i downloaded speedfan and i was told that the highest temp my computer can handle is 61c

i notice that when its cold outside and i leave a window open my computers temp drops quite considerably, one time it went from 59c to 37c in just a couple hours when it was freezing out

i was fine through the winter because it was generally always cold out but now its getting to the point in the year where its gonna be hot most days and just general text browsing pushes my core temp to 56-57c, if i ever try to watch a video, play a java game or anything like that it pushes 60+ frequently.

i have cleaned the inside of my computer frequently and it is in a well ventilated area, i dont know what the problem is but my computer only pushes high temps when it is cold outside, turning on an air conditioner doesnt help at all.

is there anything else i can do to keep my computers core temp down? any programs i can download that might help?

ms windows xp sp3
intel celeron cpu 440

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i have cleaned the inside of my computer frequently

Using what?

bobby72

bobby72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
compressed air to get dust out, last time i looked inside it looked clean to me so i dont know why my core temp is at 59c as im typing this right now, the computer isnt even 2 years old

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Does your PC crash when you use it and it gets very hot.

You could have a defective fan that is not turning (rpm) high enough.

You thermal paste may be dry and burnt.

Your heatsink may not be seated properly in its place as it should.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how many case fans do you have and which way are they blowing...into the case or out...
what video card are you using...
thermal limits for
Celeron D (Prescott) 67°C
Celeron D (Cedar Mill) 69.2°C
Mobile Celeron 100°C

bobby72

bobby72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
there is only one fan, its in the back blowing into the computer. this is how the computer came. it was a $199 computer so i guess i shouldnt have expected much but i had a near identical model that worked just fine for 6 years before this started to happen and this one isnt even 2 years old yet.

and intel® 82945g express chipset family is the video card name i think

---

my pc only starts to lockup when the core temp hits about 62c, then it freezes for a bit until it goes back under 62c, then it keeps on freezing everytime it hits 62c again. it doesnt just outright crash though. the computer stays on and doesnt reboot itself and after i close the browser and dont do anything for a minute i can use it again.

lately normal browsing will often stay in the low 50s and then just randomly go to 60+

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its in the back of the case, turn the case fan around...it should be blowing out of the case

bobby72

bobby72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well i didnt have a clue how to do that but i found someone to do it for me, today i noticed a very barely noticable difference in the temp but nothing significant, i still cant run anything that require a lot of memory without going over 60c

my fans rpm is 1500-1600 rpm, is this too slow?

also, i went to put my computer in standby mode and when i came out of standby mode the fans rpm was staying put at 3000+, i tried searching around but i couldnt find an answer as to why that happens. any idea?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps fan speeds and voltages...

bobby72

bobby72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://i818.photobuc...983/everest.gif

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your temps look great but the +12V rail is only showing 6.27V...lets try speedfan...here...

in the future on how to post a screenshot...go here...

bobby72

bobby72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
here

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG