Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant load xp sp2 bsod 0x0000007b

• Please log in to reply

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
0x0000007B ( 0xF8983524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Heres the deal, A friend brought me his older than dirt computer. on the startup screen it shows its a dell 4500s bios revision 1. I believe it has 512 mb of ram ( 2x256) dont know the proc but probably a p4 ?

when he brought it to me we couldent load into windows, couldent even get to the windows load screen. It would say something along the lines of " primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal parameter" Got it to load into safe mode once, tried to run chkdsk /r but couldent. after that it wouldent load again but would go straight to 0x000000f4. Tried to reload windows to his old hard drive. got most of the way through it to where there was 39 minutes left on the load, then bsod to the same error ( 0x0f4). Tried reseting cmos by useing the jumpers. Last but not least I have put in an old hard drive of my own which I know was good since i pulled it out of my other machine where it ran fine the same day. Formated and loaded windows and the same thing happened as the old drive.

I have run memtest and let it run 10 times without an error, also ran the hitachi diagnostics to and it came out fine, coded 0x00 which i read to be good.

problem as it stands is that I am trying to reload windows, or at least pick up where it left off before it went to bsod. I run from cdrom, it loads drivers, but when it is supposed to go to the format screen where it asks where i want to write to it just bsod's to the code : 0x0000007B ( 0xF8983524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Also for the record I am geting multiple keyboard failure errors on initial startup, used 4 different keyboards and got it with all of them. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesent...

All in all I am thinking its the IDE controller and will have to get a new motherboard ... any ideas here ?

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Maybe a stupid question but sometimes the BSOD 0x000000f4 is due that the HD you want to install windows on is set up as a slave and not as the master.

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Make sure that all the ide cables are tight.
Use only the drive that you are trying to format and remove all other components not needed.
Make sure the drive is on the setting (master).
Try another ide cable.

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I are retarded. Forgot I had the HD set to "cable select" and not master... will tell you how it goes. In the meantime, the cd drive was a pos that I made even worse when I threw it against a wall ... that dident help it any ill tell ya. Snaged another from an old computer and installed it and we are installing as I write. should know tomorrow if it works .. thanks again.

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yup officially the worlds biggest retards -- both harddrives were set to cable select... thank you for the help

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Don't beat yourself up. Usually cable select will work. Its probably the age of the computer and the ide cable being 40 core (wires) vs 80 core.

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
well either way it is good to know. This is the second time yall have helped me out. First time was with a nasty set of viruses. Thanks again for everything.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible