Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HAL.DLL [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

coolc3

coolc3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi geeks,

We all know the problem at the boot when it says "Windows root corrupt balbalbla yeyeye replace corrupt or deleted Hal.dll file in windows root" etc...
4 days ago, this problem emerged from my PC unexpectedly.
First thing I did is that I replaced the actual file using the recovery console. It did not work of course.
Then I did chkdsk C: /r which took 2 hours to do. No effect.
Then I fixed the boot.ini by typing the following commands: bootcfg /rebuild etc.... It did work (after I rebuilt the boot file of my computer, it started normally) but only temporarily:
every time I shut down my 3 years old computer, it does not shut down correctly; the CPU is turned on with a black screen on the monitor so I shut it down by pressing the holy button.
When I start my computer again, the main problem reappears: the hall.dll [bleep].
So every boot, I always do the bootcfg /rebuild command which takes around 20 minutes to be completed. It was annoying but at least my computer is still usable.
So I used the time machine (system restore) reverting my computer's original state 1 week ago. After the restore, my computer booted. The hall problem seemed to dissapear but a new enemy emerged:
the Windows Xp page, where there is a loading bar, freezes EVERY TIME I reboot.
So I was stuck with this unknown problem. Surprisingly (and fortunately) safe mode works. I booted my pc from safe mode and went back to the present time (I undid system restore).

I am once again faced with hal.dll [bleep] and I do not know how to fix this.
Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

coolc3

coolc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

Thank you SpywareDr I appreciate your help.
The article is very interesting, I did not know that you can reinstall an XP OS without a total hard drive format.
Unfortunately there is a problem.
I followed everything and all went fine...till screen seven. Langa's letter said on screen 7 "Setup begins to refer to a repair option. Here, Setup should have found your damaged XP setup, which you can select and then press R to start the nondestructive repair."
In my Setup, I was faced with a kazillion so called "damaged XP" (around 8) which shows a list of different partitions. So I thought, the right partition would be the partition starting with "C:...". But unlike Langa's letter, I have no option to repair it (when I press R nothing happens).
Do you have any ideas? Walkthroughs?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Hmmm... not good. :)

I'd next start with "Method 1" and work my way down through "Method 4" on this Microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

coolc3

coolc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hmmm... not good. :)

I'd next start with "Method 1" and work my way down through "Method 4" on this Microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Method 1: I have no idea what to do as editing boot.ini file... I do not even know where to locate it and what to do in editing to fix it...

Method 2: Already did (said from my first post. But at the end of the step, I am prompted to edit my boot.ini file which again I do not know what to edit.

Method 3: Never tried to be honest :) but I feel editing and fixing my bootfile is the solution

Method 4: I did and did not solve anything.

*EDIT* On the the site where there is a tutorial on boot.ini --> http://support.micro....com/kb/289022/
I tried "Open the Boot.ini File to Verify Changes". What I discovered is that, well I do not have any boot.ini file. So how can you recreate one?

What I need now is a tutorial how to edit my boot.ini file to fix this recurrent hall.dll error every time I reboot.

Edited by coolc3, 19 June 2010 - 07:59 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
http://support.micro....com/kb/289022/

?

couber

couber

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello!

I recently had the same problem. The only way i could enter WinXp was by using a Supergrub disk. The previous days i had tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 using wubi(i.e. installation through windows) and it crushed.
Did you do any changes the past days that might have caused this problem?

Edited by couber, 19 June 2010 - 12:22 PM.

couber

couber

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

I followed everything and all went fine...till screen seven. Langa's letter said on screen 7 "Setup begins to refer to a repair option. Here, Setup should have found your damaged XP setup, which you can select and then press R to start the nondestructive repair."
In my Setup, I was faced with a kazillion so called "damaged XP" (around 8) which shows a list of different partitions. So I thought, the right partition would be the partition starting with "C:...". But unlike Langa's letter, I have no option to repair it (when I press R nothing happens).
Do you have any ideas? Walkthroughs?

My repair didn't have this option too. I chose the drive where winxp was(it wasn't drive c:\ as i expected to be). Because i was desperate i backed-up my files and gave it a try. It continued like a new installation all the way but in the end the problem was solved. Unfortunately, now i have to reinstall programs and drivers...