Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello

I have a toshiba Satellite L350D running Vista 32-bit. Yesterday when on-line my battery ran out closing down the system, when attempting to re-boot it went to the windows error recovery screen giving me the option to Launch start up repair (Recommended) OR Start windows normally, when i select the Launch start up repair option the screen goes black for approx 5 minutes and then a white pointer will appear in the middle of the screen with no option to select anything then after another 5 or so mins the screen will go gray for another 5 or so mins THEN a box appears saying the software cannot be fixed.

I do not have a system restore disk or know how i go about formatting the HD which would be my final option as i have a lot of family pictures and video's that i do not want to lose.

All help will be massively appreciated :)

Thank you for your time.

Scott

Edited by MacAoidh, 12 June 2010 - 02:32 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r...instructions are here...
Warning...Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

if that doesn't fix the problem...run sfc /scannow

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

try running chkdsk /r...instructions are here...
Warning...Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

if that doesn't fix the problem...run sfc /scannow

I cannot get that far. The computer wont boot far enough for me to even put my password in to get to the desktop ???

PLEASE HELP :)

Kind Regards

Scott :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you never burned a recovery cd for your system then you will have to get someone that has a vista system to burn one from their system for you...
then boot from the recovery cd...select command prompt...then type chkdsk /r

go here for Creating a Windows Vista Recovery CD

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

if you never burned a recovery cd for your system then you will have to get someone that has a vista system to burn one from their system for you...
then boot from the recovery cd...select command prompt...then type chkdsk /r

go here for Creating a Windows Vista Recovery CD

Ok i'll try that BUT don't know when as this laptop has a busted disk drive, i will need to ask a friend when i get a chance then i'll reply and tell you how i get on :)

Kind Regards

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Have you got a link for free software to open the zipped ISORecorder file and one for Torrent ???

Thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry for the delay...I am in the middle of moving to a new house...

justzipit is a great little unzipping program...do not get click happy...do not install any toolbars...put check or uncheck as necessary so that you don't get anything except justzipit...

CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs,

please tell me your not trying to get a copy of vista through a P2P network

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

please tell me your not trying to get a copy of vista through a P2P network

No i'm not, waiting on a friend to get back to me with his boot disk.

Regards

Scott

Edited by MacAoidh, 28 June 2010 - 11:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we'll be here... :)