Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply

scotchtape

scotchtape

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay, here is the situation.
I have one computer DELL 8300 P4 3.0 HT, and another is Compaq Presario Celeron 500Mhz. Both have Windows XP installed. My intrnet provider is Verizon DSL.
I used to use PPPoE till Februrary before i moved to a new location, and now the verizon speed is slower than it used to be at previous place and i can't connect thru PPPoE, what i have done is, connect Phone line to Westell 2200 modem, and the ethernet from Modem to Linksys Wired Router. From Router, 2 connection go out to each computer. Everything is fine, but the internet keeps disconnecting, sometimes im downloading and it just stops, everything goes offline, then i have to do 192.168.1.1 to reach the westell's home page and refresh the IP and the connections more that 2 or 3 times then it comes back up, only to disconnect in few hours.
None of the computers are directly connected to modem, both are through router, and i can't do network, like file transfer and what not. I am able to connect both computers to internet, and thats it.
If i do the 192.168.1.1 from my computer, i reach to westell's home, but if i do same from other computer i reach Linksys Router's home.
I talked to verizon and linksys. Verizon says its linksys and linksys says its verizon's modem. What linksys said was, the IP of modem and the router is same, thats why its creating trouble, the dude asked me to change the ip of router, restart computer, connect modem and all, then try to access the Router's page and modem's page. i did it all, but when i try to connect to router's ip, which the guy told me to change to 192.168.2.1, or something like that, i forgot :tazz: .
So, if there is any way you guys can help me fix so i don't have to refresh the connection once in a while, and able to do networking like sharing printer, i'd be really glad and appriciate.

Thanks in advance.
Scotch

Advertisements

scotchtape

scotchtape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
By the way, My firewall is McAfee and i had tried disabling it and the XP firewall is disabled as well. but no luck!

scotchtape

scotchtape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
NO REPLY? NO HELP?

:tazz::(;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your router and your modem have the same ip address. when your pcs are requesting info from the devices they fight over who gets to answer. change the router's ip address by one number