Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No IP address

• Please log in to reply

Nytburnr

Nytburnr

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just put a new hard drive in for my brother in law and loaded windows on it for him. Tried to hook up to the internet with no success. Called the cable service he uses and they ran some quick checks and found there is no IP address on the machine. The cable company said they could update one, but they could not put one on the machine for the first time. They suggested Microsoft. What is my next step?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,507 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks to go !

Did you install the driver for your Network Adapter?

You can find the name of the Network Adapter in Device Manager and also see if any errors are located there. Usually a yellow exclamation point indicating a driver issue or it's missing entirely.

Start -> Run -> type in this command devmgmt.msc hit ok, once in there look for Network Adapter, click the plus sign to expand the list, find the name of it. Using a good computer go the manufactures site and download the driver onto a usb flash drive. Insert the usb flash drive onto the bad computer and install the driver.

zep516

Edited by zep516, 13 June 2010 - 01:51 AM.

Nytburnr

Nytburnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Computer is a Dell 4600 Dimension. Network Adapter is 1394 Net Adapter(No manufacturer name). That's the only entry, and it is green. Under that is a category called "Other Devices". It has a yellow ? next to it. When I open it, there are the following categories:

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Controller
Small Bus Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

All of those also have a yellow "?" next to them.

That's the bad news... the good news?

I went through some old files and found 3 cds (blue). One says "Drivers and Utilities", another says "For Reinstalling Dell Tools system Software", and the other says Dell 1800FP Color Monitor Quick Setup.

I knew I kept that old stuff for some reason.

So, where do I start?

Thanks, Nytburnr

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,507 posts
Hi Nytburnr,

Network Adapter 1394 is Firewire, not what we need. Go ahead and install "Drivers and Utilities" cd that will install the drivers for you. Any problems visit the Dell support site Here
zep516

Edited by zep516, 13 June 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Nytburnr

Nytburnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, installing the drivers went pretty well. The only thing that didn't was the
ATI driver. It is on the resource drive, just like the rest of the drivers, but it won't install.

The file unzips and then it tells you it is going to put it at the Dell/Driver address, and it goes through all the steps of installing that the other drivers did. It asks you if you want to restart now, you click "Yes" and you get the blue screen. It says "data dump" and shows no data.

You wait a few minutes and the good old black screen comes up again, asking you how you want to start your computer. You pick "hard drive" and a message comes up and says "No ATI driver was installed, or it is not working properly". The you have to shut down the computer by pushing the on/off switch.

Unfortunately, the disk does not install all the drivers when you put it in the cd/dvd rom drive. They show you what you have and you have to install each driver,
one at a time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nytburnr