Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32?

• Please log in to reply

Blizzaro

Blizzaro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, everytime I shut down my computer it says that Rundll 32 is not responding and I have to end task to close it manualy, I hear that this can sometimes be a trojan or a virus and I'm not sure what this program does, do I need it or can I remove it without it affecting any other programs?

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Blizzaro, Welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

rundll32.exe is a process which executes DLL's an places their libraries into the memory, so they can be used more efficiently by applications.This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated and definantly not removed.

To find the offending module which is executed by Rundll32 do this.
Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command:

tasklist /m /fi "IMAGENAME eq rundll32.exe" >C:\rundll32.txt

Now, open the file C:\rundll32.txt and copy and paste those results into your next post.

Please also download and run Hijack This and post it's results here along with the text file.