Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows error code 0x80004005

• Please log in to reply

mlinva

mlinva

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex pent 4 2GB Ram running valid Dell Windows XP pro upgraded to SP3. I had security updates on automatic, system restore off. I went out and left my system running, all was good. I came back 2 hours later with the Admin signon screen on and the Genuine Advantage Icon showing on the botton taskbar. It states This Copy of windows is not activated. I tried to log on but got the error message "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license. Error Code 0x80004005."

I searched microsoft for an answer and tried their fix to rename a list of files and extract new copies from a fresh installarion CD while in the recovery console. It didn't work. Next I went into safe mode without networking and ran malwarebytes and symantec. I found one trojan and removed it. I have 300GB of courseware and certification programs as well as audio mastering software installed on this disk. It will take weeks to try to recreate the applications. Is there any way to repair this copy of windows?

Advertisements

mlinva

mlinva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK, problem solved. Here is what we did and what I think happened. Any opinions appreciated. I tried many solutions including the Microsoft fixes and reseating the CPU. As a last resort I did a windows reinstall/repair from disk. It still gave me the Windows Genuine Advantage windows needs to be activated icon on the taskbar but this time it let me sign on to the admin account.

As windows was loading my user my firewall, ZoneAlarm, popped a permission window asking to go to the Genuine Advantage and validate my copy of windows. I allowed this program, windows booted normally and the genuine Advantage message went away. The system appears to be working properly except that the msinfo32 system utility doesn't seem to run.

My guess is that since I had windows update set to automatic one of the updates came in and installed Genuine Advantage and rebooted the system while I was out. Zone Alarm asked permission to go to the GA program and since it didnt get it the GA timed out and locked up the system waiting for permission to connect. It got trapped in a signon loop and wouldn't allow networking even in safemode so I could never validate my existing copy of windows.