Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply

Mike4C

Mike4C

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi My computor is making a load clicking noise, and will not boot up. I want to replace the hard drive. The computor is 5 yrs old.Can I put any hard drive in
do i have to match the other HD it has two
can i put a bigger/faster one in
The computor is a Gateway 7200s with Intel Pentium 4 processor 550 (3.40GHz)with twoWD2500 Caviar se hard drives.
Thanks Mike

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You can replace it with any size HD you desire.

As for faster you can buy a 7200 rpm one or 10000 rpm and you even have 15000 rpm (more rpm usually means a little bit noisier hd and more power hungry)

Just make sure you buy the same kind IDE (PATA) or SATA.

Also if you need SATA drives and depending on your motherboard tranfer rate (1.5 gb or 3.0 gb transfer rate) some newer SATA2 HD (3.0 gb) need to be told to only transfer the data at a rate of 1.5 if this is the capability of your motherboard by setting the jumpers accordingly.

Mike4C

Mike4C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Alzeimer