Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

three long beeps did all that I could find on the forum and still won&

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
When I turn on the computer I get three long beeps, I changed the video card, tried to turn it on and it came on then froze so I rebooted, got three long beeps. So I read a little further and it said could be a problem with keyboard. Changed that and no different just get 3 long beeps. I put in some ram that I had here and am wondering if that could be the problem. I am trying to set this up for a friend that has had a stroke as I think it would help her so I don't want to give her anything that would frustrate her. I was given this computer by a neighbor and I had it working until I changed the ram but now I don't have the original ram as I gave that away because I didn't think I would need this computer. Hope you can help me.

Thanks
Ginnyjoe

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ginnyjoe...

Sounds like you've used either incorrect type or defective RAM in the machine. What's the make and model number of the machine in question?

wannabe1

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ginnyjoe ... :) ..:)

if its a IBM BIOS...Three Long Beeps means its a Keyboard problem...
like wannabe1 said we need the make and model to be sure...

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I guess this will sound sort of dumb but how do I find the make and model of the machine. The tower is plain with nothing on it. It just says ibm inside. And I can't believe how quick this site answers. Thank you

Ginnyjoe

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Look for a serial number tag on the back maybe.

Take a good look at the main board for any numbers/letters on it. We might be able to track it that way.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I would remove the memory and replace the video card that you installed and see if that fixes the problem, basically undo what you did. Some motherboards have LEDs which indicate the problem. Then, once you get it working you can determine what the motherboard it and take it step by step to see what is causing the problem (this assume it started at a working state).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try tapping the delete key to get to your bios...give us the bios info

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I am going to get some different ram. I believe that might be the main problem. As soon as I can I will let you know. Thanks again this is a great site.

ginnyjoe

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to make sure you get the right ram ...go here to see what your computer can support as far as memory is concerned...

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I got some ram and that definetly was the problem.I got 512 megs of pc2700 333mgz and it works great. Thank you all for the help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)