Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network file sharing

• Please log in to reply

john2d

john2d

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need advice to fully set up my wireless network. I bought a netgear 108 mbps router and 3 wireless cards plus 1 USB adapter, all supposedly 108 mbps. All 4 computers happily access the Internet. Three computers run XP and one W98.

The problems I have are:
a) The PC with the laserjet printer and scanner attached cannot access any of the other 3 computers to share files, however 2 of the other 3 computers can access the printer and scanner through this computer. The error message is "cannot access computer2 (and 3), you may not have permission (or similar)".
b) The 4th computer, running W98, cannot see any other computer on the network but as it can access the Internet the problem is probably just configuration. I'm really out of my depth with DNS numbers and other such settings. I got the Internet to work on this PC by manually adding the IP address assigned by the router.
c) On each computer the wireless network says its speed is 54mbps. So what happened to the 108 it's supposed to be capable of? The PC's near the router have a strong signal at about 48mbps but perhaps they could attain 90+?

Any help truly appreciated.
John

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
what are the OS on all computers?

john2d

john2d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Three computers are running Windows XP (all Pentium's) and just one still on Windows 98. This machine is a Pentium III 450mhz.

Thanks,
John

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
The permission is a setting:
you have to set the permissions on the printer and scanner, right click those icons and select the "sharing" set it up to share on network.

As far as you 98 computer, you have to setup NETBIOS , to do this:
right click "my network" scroll down and select properties, then right click on your LAN icon, select properties,you will see a box open up and then select the "internet protocols TCP/IP, highlite this and press the "install button" when the window opens up, look for the protocols and highlite and select "ADD", this will open another window and you must select the NETBIOS setting, you must highlite that and press ok, you will need your 98 disk, it has to get the drivers.

The reason for all this is, unlike xp , 98 isnt setup automatically to share on the network.

You must also enable print and file sharing on the 98 computer. To do this, same method as above but after you right click on the LAN and select properties, you must then select the print and file sharing wording. I forget, cause im not using 98 anymore, you can figure it out, but I think you have to go into the properites of that and turn on file sharing and printer sharing, this will make 98 work on your network

go here also, it may answer alot of future questions:
http://www.pcbuyerbe...ngProblems3.htm
and then scroll down

See if that helps

Edited by John_Doe, 23 May 2005 - 03:40 PM.

john2d

john2d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for all this. Some of these items are already in place, for example, all settings on all computers and peripherals allow sharing.

I notice that when trying to access one of the XP computers the 'get lost' message said I did not have permission to access this 'server'. But why server? I thought I had set it up as a regular PC. Could this be part of the problem?

On the 98 computer the netbios is already installed. The drivers come from the wireless pci card setup CD.

For reference, I had the network setup perfectly using cables and hub until a month ago when the hub died a death - thats when I bought the wireless equipment.

I'll scrounge around that site you suggested. In the meantime thank you very much for taking the time to think through my problems,

John

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hope you get it going