Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

0ut0fn4k1n5

0ut0fn4k1n5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:) I just tried my hand at my first new build.
Parts are as follows.

Processor: Intel Core i7 860
Mobo: Gigabyte p55a-ud3 1156 atx
Posted Image

PSU: OCZ tech 700w stealthstream pro
Case: Coolmaster 922 HAF
Ram: OCZ tech 4Gb (2x2) DDR3-1333 (gold)
Hard drive: Seagate 500Gb sata 7200rpm
Optical Drive: dvdrw sata -from old computer
video: GeForce 8400gs 512Mb -from my old computer
OS- doesn't really matter -never made it that far (win 7 64bit home premium)

I bought all of the parts at microcenter (which is a two hour drive for me).

I read all of the manuals, thought i followed the instructions. stand offs are in place to prevent shorting against case. plugged in the power cable & toggled the power switch on the psu. A light on my card reader blinked on. I pressed the power switch on the case and the rear fan flickered on for half a second then powered down. I pressed the switch again thinking maybe I hadn't fully pressed it last time and the fan did the same thing except it cycled like it was trying to turn on. Power up for half a second, wait a second or two, repeat...

The power supply has a 2x10 connector and a 2x2 connector on one line. I hooked those up on the 2x12 area next to the ram on the edge of the board (bottom right). Another line has a 2x3 connector labeled (pci-e2) and another 2x1 connector (not labeled). I didn't do anything with this set. There is a spot on the motherboard labled ATX 12V 2x4 (upper right corner) but the connectors don't match the unused line from my psu.

My only other thought is maybe I connected the power switch wrong. The power led area on the mobo had three pins but the wires from the case only had two 1pin connectors (one pos, one common) maybe I put the common on the wrong pin?

At this point I'm afraid to touch anything. :) I don't want to make it worse.

Does anyone have a suggestion, this is turning into a very expensive lesson of why not to built your own computer.

Edited by 0ut0fn4k1n5, 13 June 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Advertisements

0ut0fn4k1n5

0ut0fn4k1n5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Think I've narrowed down the problem. If i understand this right. The psu is seeing the initial signal to power up (when I press the switch on the case) but it isn't communicating with the mobo. since the Motherboard isn't sending a signal that it needs power the psu is just turning back off.

I think I have a short or bad motherboard or the connection from the power supply to the mobo is bad.

Am I on the right track???

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi 0ut0fn4k1n5 and welcome to geeks.

It looks like you have the power connects slightly wrong. You must have the aux connection installed. Disconnect all the cables from the PSU,
Go to this page and follow the instructions and then post the results.

http://www.ocztechno...-and-Connectors.

0ut0fn4k1n5

0ut0fn4k1n5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Edited by 0ut0fn4k1n5, 13 June 2010 - 10:04 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

You post has nothing in it.

0ut0fn4k1n5

0ut0fn4k1n5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:) computer is running great. sorry about the last post - I couldn't figure out how to delete it. I had a question on it that I answered myself (i reread that instruction page a second time and realized that I missed the CPU2 instructions. It appears that I forgot to plug in the CPU1 and CPU2 power connections. The instructions included with the mobo were very unclear about that one particular topic. The tutorial that you linked to was extremely helpful. Consider yourself a hero - cuz you "saved the day" with that little bit of advice.

Thanks again to iammykyl.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
:)

Thanks. Glad to help. Great you let us know the issue is solved.