Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to buy a laptop for college...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Was thinking about a Mac before, but now I'm not. I don't mind paying money for a laptop, but the type of money you pay for a Mac doesn't make sense in my situation when all I want is a laptop that I can use for college next year. One that's medium sized, I can use for school, and one that I can occasionally watch movies in would be the ideal type of laptop for me. I'm not looking to spend more than $1,000... any ideas? HP? Toshiba? Dell? Not convinced on Macs (but can be convinced... although I doubt it). Any advice would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
well consider this because most good laptops are in that $1000 dollar range and higher. the money you will spend on a mac is worth every penny. simple, clean, no (but not completely impossible) viruses/spyware, and best part is you can dual operate with windows 7. for example i used boot camp and installed windows 7. when i start my laptop, if i hold down the option key for a few seconds options come up asking me whether i want to boot up in windows or mac. today a new macbook pro is unbelievable and i want one haha. with i5 or i7 inrel core processor you are set for almost anything you want to do. maximum memory or 8gb and a 500 gb hd, you are set. movies, music, whatever you want to do, you can.

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yeah I don't know. I talked to a lot of people and most of the Mac users are just very convincing. I know it's not going to be worth the price if all I'm going to do is web surf, listen to music, etc. (some photo editing though, but not serious) but I plan on having this become my main computer to use, I might not have my desktop back when I go home because I might give it to my dad. So I want a laptop that I know can do anything without any problems. This is basically what I'm weighing on now.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

I want a laptop that I know can do anything without any problems.

then mac is the best way to go my friend. see if any of your friends have a mac, a relatively new one so you can see how amazing they are before you make a decision.

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Remember some colleges require Windows for classes so make sure you check into your college before you make your choice. For laptop brands I recommend Dell, I have only had one problem with a Dell machine before and it was the memory chip came out of place and with 3 emails in about two days they had the machine up and running again.

For everyone who said Mac was virus/spyware free. Do not forget about OpinionSpy which is a Mac spyware program.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Remember some colleges require Windows for classes so make sure you check into your college before you make your choice. For laptop brands I recommend Dell, I have only had one problem with a Dell machine before and it was the memory chip came out of place and with 3 emails in about two days they had the machine up and running again.

For everyone who said Mac was virus/spyware free. Do not forget about OpinionSpy which is a Mac spyware program.

this is true, classes may require windows only programs, and with a new mac you have many options as far as running windows on your mac. from boot camp (making a new partition and installing windows), to virtually running windows using VMware Fusion, or Parallels. meaning if he needed a program on windows for a class he can simply boot up into it or virtually run it. this is what i do, and other people are like OMG What the... how are you running windows on MAC. and i pimply say because its easy to set up and mac are awesome. so having a MAC with capabilities for running windows gives you the best of both worlds...in case you need it. vise versa this and it gets nearly impossible...to install OS X on a pc. there are hacks and such available through torrent but there is so much you would have to do and it can be risky.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Or if your Really want the Mac OS X get a laptop that is compatible with it. Search for OSX_x86. For exact information on it.

I've freaked people out with a Dell Laptop running OS X nativity from boot.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
@amw_drizz

funny you mention that because at work a colleague was telling me how he installed OS X on a dell vostro 220 with the disk using rebel efi. since then we are trying other dell comp to see if they would work. it is awesome but not something for college, im entering my junior year at the University of Arizona and i have had the same macbook since the end of high school, run great still, only down side for me at least is the HDD size and how I have completely filled it up. but with a new macbook you will have a hard time filling up your HDD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Obsolete thread closed to prevent any further spam posts.