Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgraded Bios, Monitor Died

• Please log in to reply

Slyxfx

Slyxfx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So i recently built myself a new PC. I was having issues with my 5850's in 'Tri-Fire' and was told that a Bios update may fix the issues. So i updated my bios, it restarted and suddenly my monitor has no signal.

Motherboard
- Asus Crosshair IV Formula

What i have tried
- Spamming the 'Clear CMOS' button on the board.
- Taking out the battery on the board then restarting
- various restarts
- unplugging my PSU and Clearing CMOS

Literally nothing works and i have nowhere else to turn. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Slyxfx

Slyxfx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Everything is getting power. The GPU fans all start spinning, but the monitor acts as if the PC is still turned off and goes into power saving mode. I don't know what i could have done, but it looks like an RMA to me :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
How do you know everything is getting power? Fans spinning only indicates 12V. There still must be 5 and 3.3V from the PSU. Is your PSU big enough?

Please list your hardware. Have you tried with just one graphics card? Did the system ever work?

Slyxfx

Slyxfx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It was working fine for 3 days. I have a 900W Be Quiet PSU while is more than enough for this setup.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would still try just one card and see if can get it working that way. If it works, then you know the PSU is working fine too. I have never seen a "Be Quiet" PSUs as it is sold in the Europe market only but reviews have been very favorable. That does not mean, however, that you might not have got a bad one. Sadly, it happens even with the best of brands, and will happen until Man can create perfection, every time.

At the very least you need to make sure all connections are tight and secure.

Slyxfx

Slyxfx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm almost certain that its not the PSU now. Booted the PC a few different times and everything is receiving power, however the LEDs on the Motherboard show as red rather than green.
It is surely a mobo issue as it happened during the BIOS Update Reboot. However, it makes no sense that Clearing CMOS and removing the battery would not fix this... especially on a mobo thats 3 days old

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Are you talking about the diagnostic LED's? Some LED's like that will be red for good. What does your manual state for them?

The overclocking LED's can be as follows:

Crosshair IV formula has four LEDs to indicate at which range the voltages from the CPU, north bridge, south bridge and memory are at the moment. They can be in three different colors: green (normal), yellow (high) or red (crazy).

There are numerous LED's and beep tests that are done.

Your Manual is located in the download tab.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I'm almost certain that its not the PSU now. Booted the PC a few different times and everything is receiving power,

I ask again, "how do you know?" Fans and drive motors work on 12V. How do you know the +5 and +3.3V are present?

Slyxfx

Slyxfx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i have tried the PSU on my bench rig... it works 100%.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Are you talking about the diagnostic LED's? Some LED's like that will be red for good. What does your manual state for them?

The overclocking LED's can be as follows:

Crosshair IV formula has four LEDs to indicate at which range the voltages from the CPU, north bridge, south bridge and memory are at the moment. They can be in three different colors: green (normal), yellow (high) or red (crazy).

There are numerous LED's and beep tests that are done.

Your Manual is located in the download tab.

Where do we stand on this?