Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore did not complete successfully.

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
(Sorry about length - I got carried away)

No matter which restore point, or the process I use ... Win7 says "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed ..."

I even created a new 'test' restore point and tired to restore ... same problem.

Have searched Internet (Google) and have seen numerous processes - nothing works:
  • Safe boot - same result
  • Stop AV (use Avast 5.054) - problem
  • Stop Firewall (use PC tool Firewall Plus 6.0.0.88) - same error
  • Combinations of above 3 - issue persists
Thought maybe a virus/malware problem even though av and firewall run - so scanned with avast, Kaspersky online, MalwareBytes Anti - Nothing (no other indications of any other problem)

My system: Dell 545, originally with Vista but upgraded to Win7 before PC was ever used (6 months ago), 6Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD.

Short background: was having a problem connecting to Internet (use Roadrunner) and modem looked good. Had a problem a month ago which was solved by a System Restore so tried again ... but got "Not Complete" error (tried several 'points' - including the one that worked a month ago). Finally called RR support and they reset the modem - problem was fixed ... BUT System Restore still will not complete successfully.

Am concerned that System Restore will REALLY be needed in the future and it won't work.

Any suggestions.

Advertisements