Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Drivers after XP Re-Install

• Please log in to reply

Mijj

Mijj

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I wonder if anybody can help with this. I needed to do a Windows re-install, so dutifully copied all the (non-MS) drivers from my system using SmartDriverBackup. Having reinstalled Windows, there are a bunch of drivers missing, so have got the Driver Backup out and am trying to reinstall them. The instructions I have tell me to run the command behind "install=" in the file "_driver_information.txt", which is left in the folder with the driver files in the backup. It also states to Make sure you run it from the folder where "_driver_information.txt" resides.

So I have copied all of the backed up driver folders on the c drive, in a CMD prompt window, navigate to the appropriate older in the backup and execute it. The commands are along the lines of:

"rundll32.exe advpack advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection oem6.inf,Edimax_7711.ndi.NT"

I keep getting an error: "Advanced INF Install. INF Install failure. The parameter is incorrect".

In the above example, the contents of the folder from where it is being run is: _driver_informatio.txt, oem6.inf, RaCoInst.dat, RaConInst.dll, RT2870.cat, rt2870.sys

I am guessing that there is some issue with paths? Any advice would be moste gratefully received, as the HP website is less than useless (locating drivers for Pavilion s7610.uk)

Thanks

Mijj

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try HP drivers page HERE
They have the Audio, Lan, Motherboard chipset and KB\Mouse multimedia drivers. There are several other drivers available but those would be where to start. they are located in the Original Drivers entry area.

Mijj

Mijj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, I'll try again, but couldn't get them to work properly last time. The LAN card was extremely slow and there was no sound at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lan card is slow?
What diagnostics have you run to show that?
Sound is not working is most likely the driver.
Please do the following:
  • (for Windows XP users)
  • Please click Start and click Run
    (for Windows Vista and 7 users)
  • Please click Start and select the white text box.
  • Type: devmgmt.msc and hit Enter
  • Look for any entries with a Yellow Exclamation Mark or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Mijj

Mijj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok. Progress. The sound is ok now after a second go, but the LAN connection is still really slow. Device manager shows no problems now. My reasoning for saying it is slow is having done a test using speedtest.net which shows a good ping time (<20ms) but a download speed of just 30kbps. This is using a Powerline Ethernet extenders, which has always been very reliable. If I use a USB wifi dingle I am back up in the Mbps on a Speedtest.net test. I think there must be some choke in the Ethernet card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a possibility. Did you get the Lan driver while on the page?
Have you checked with ISP to have them run a speed test from their end?
Also have them check your mode\router you connect to.
Check for noise and signal strength.
If they say their side all looks good then I would say you may need to replace the nic card.