Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing & Sleeping

• Please log in to reply

RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have an HP with Vista 64 bit Home Premium. I have a new iMac and I want to be able to copy the data from the HP to the Mac since the Mac has the ability to auto backup everything. Plus it would be nice to be able to share data between the two.

I have 2 problems. One is getting the 2 to see each other and the other is getting my HP to stay asleep and wake up and have the network work once I turned on sharing.

I turned on File sharing and put a share at the root of the Data drive. The HP has 2 Hard drives because I always use a hard drive for the OS & programs and a drive for the data. I have taken the check off of "Allow this device to wake the computer." in the properties in device manager. When I wake the computer the network is not available. The first time I renewed the IP address and that fixed it. Today it did not. I had taken the check off of "Allow the compuer to turn off this device" but put that check back on after today's incident. I shut the computer down and the modem & router & turned everything back on & I'm back on the internet.

I will respond more once I know what else you need to know to continue on from here.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

Edited by RiverMiss, 14 June 2010 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements