Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh reformat/reinstall...possible IDE controller issue.

• Please log in to reply

Alex4147

Alex4147

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
So I'm at the end of a long string of recent troubles with my computer. I'm not sure how prevalent the older issue could be, but I'll mention it anyway. A few months back I got hit with some sort of spyware/adware infection. My antivirus software and Malwarebytes Anti-malware were able to find and quarantine or delete most of the culprits. Though I did have to drop to safe mode, scan and manually delete some files or registry keys myself. Which is probably where I made my first mistake in deleting a registry key I wasn't supposed to touch. Regardless the spyware was gone, but then I had issues with Explorer.exe hanging up or not responding, especially after alt-tabbing out of games and such. No other issues, and I could end the process and restart it without issue. Eventually I got fed up with having to end and restart the explorer process, and I have since then reformatted and reinstalled XP from scratch.

Now the first things I did were to load up my antivirus software, run windows update and bring myself up to service pack 2 with all security updates up to date. Here's where I'm now having issues. I've updated the drivers I've been able to find, every time I start up windows it detects an IDE controller and asks if I want to install the drivers for it. I've tried to install off the various disks that came with my computer, I've tried to let windows find a good driver for it, and each time it fails to install. Currently the device is listed under SCSI and RAID controllers as A1SX0JEK IDE controller, its currently disabled due to not having its drivers installed.

Now windows is booting up and running normally, though I'm occasionally now getting Bsod errors including the Kernel Stack Inpage Error. I've run virus/malware scans and come up clean, I've run Memtest with no errors. So I'm kind of at a loss and grasping at straws here. This is the first time I've ever reformatted this machine so I'm suspecting that maybe I didn't install RAID drivers during windows setup properly or I might need to update or tweak Bios settings.

I'm attaching an Everest report in the form of a text file. Any sort of help would be appreciated, I'm hoping people more tech savvy than myself can help me get this machine back up to smooth running for games like Warhammer 40k: DoW and Aion.

Attached Files

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A hardware explanation would help here. It sounds like you do not have the chipset drivers needed for the computer. What motherboard is in this computer? Is this a custom built computer?

Kernel stack errors suggest a hard drive that is developing bad sectors. This is especially true of Seagate drives. This may be a problem on your computer. I have seen this same problem with good hard drives also, so don't jump to any conclusions until you test the drive.

Why do you need to install RAID drivers? Does this computer have PATA and/or SATA drive(s)in it?

Your raid drivers are these from the ASUS website.

JMicron JMB36X SATA/PATA Controller Driver V1.16.1.0 for Windows 2K/XP/2003 & 64Bit XP/2003.(WHQL)

Your Chipset drivers fro the Nvidia 430i are these.

nVidia Chipset Driver 8.26 for Windows 2K/XP/2003 & 64bit XP/2003.

ASUS downloads

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Find them on the Asus website and install them to see if it corrects the problem.

SRX660

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Figured that Everest summery would show most of the things people might need to give me some input here. Regardless;
Windows XP Professional
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768Mb video card

Now I only have the single hard drive, so doesn't that suggest I should not even be concerned with RAID drivers/controllers?

I've also gotten myself a nice new blue screen error just a few minutes ago.
Kernel Stack Inpage Error
Stop: 0x00000077 (0xC0000185, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x01416000)

Now looking at that error, and the nifty Bsod stop code thread around here, doesn't that point to either a driver/controller issue, or hardware issues like bad sectors?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Microsoft says the error code shows this.

0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR: improper termination or defective cabling of SCSI-based devices, or two devices attempting to use the same IRQ.

Again, i say that you have a driver problem. Have you tried installing the ASUS drivers?Personally there is no need of raid drivers at all. Raid is for multiple drives and is unnecessary for a single drive.

Does your BIOS show the single drive with the correct ID? I would also look into how the setup in the BIOS is for the hard drives.(long shot at best)

Reinstalling the chipset drivers should correct your problem. Now would be a good time to replace the data SATA cable just to be sure the connection is good. To me this is more of fixing the hardware problem than anything else. It could be a MBR virus but reinstalling windows should have fixed that.

SRX660

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have tried the chipset driver listed for my motherboard for XP, and I think I've tried the Jmicron SATA driver listed from their page as well. Not entirely sure on the Jmicron one, but I'll check that again when I can.

As of now I've run chkdsk in both read only and with the /f parameter to fix things. No bad sectors found anywhere, ran without issue and proceeded to finish booting my system. Still having my issue, which is now giving me a Delayed Write failure to the warnings log file for a specific game. Went to the Seagate website and ran their Seatools utility in windows, passed all those tests except the SMART test. Seatools recommended I try the Seatools for DOS utility as that has some repair capability, so I've got Seatools DOS running right now.

And I checked in my BIOS the other day and the drive was listed properly as far as I can tell. I don't have the documentation on hand for the drive itself, but all the settings were at the system defaults. SMART was disabled and I left that alone for now, mainly because I have no idea what it is.

Depending on how these Seatools DOS checks come out I suppose I'll double check the Asus drivers they list for me, then I think the only other thing I can do is crack the case open and check the cables and connections.

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
And another update. I've installed the chipset driver listed on the ASUS website and just got another "delayed write failure" warning with one program, and this morning another Bsod with the same error code except the last part was 0x01431000, everything else was the same.

And the Jmicron drivers are indeed for RAID stuff so I haven't touched them, I shouldn't need to. Bios lists the hard drive properly as far as I can tell, right model number and ID, other things I honestly have no idea about like number of headers and such. Also I finished my Seatools diagnostics, all signs point to the hard drive itself not having any issues.

Anyway, at this point the only two things I haven't done have been to try and update the Bios itself, and to actually open the case up and check the connections myself to make sure they are secure and clean. So I guess its time to open it on up, clear out any dust, and maybe replace actual cables. I'm going to be a little annoyed if this issue is from a loose or dusty connection, relieved too, but still a tad annoyed. I'll post again when I finish and check to see if anymore Bsod's get thrown at me.

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Pulled open my case and cleared away the dust as well as checked the connections at the hard drive and at the motherboard. Still at a loss here as my delayed write failure warning came back up, and I'm anticipating a Bsod sometime today. Noticing a whole lot of repeating errors in the Windows system error log.
------
Userenv Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB81 1AF94AE} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

Userenv Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C 5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

crypt32 Failed auto update retrieval of third-party rootlist sequence number from: with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Disk The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D
------
The disk error message isn't listed for today, so I think updating my chipset drivers the other day might have fixed something, but the first three things are all from today. I'm starting to consider grabbing up to date drivers and putting them all on a CD and just reformatting again.

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So I've made no progress on this problem myself. I still get a bsod with the same basic error code when I run anything somewhat taxing on the system. The computer runs fine doing basic stuff like running around windows or online. But the two games I'm currently trying to play end up -starting- unplayable and eventually toss me a bsod, or run for a couple of hours then toss me a bsod.

If this is a driver issue with my chipset or anything on the motherboard itself then I'm at an utter loss how to properly update those drivers, because I've downloaded and installed the proper ones according to the ASUS website. Still no errors coming up with checkdisk or the Seagate diagnostic software, no issues popping up running memtest, I've tried old and new drivers for my video card. I've tried a Windows XP repair, as well as a full reformat.

I'm still lingering around the idea that maybe I've just messed up a driver install during OS installation, but even there I don't know for certain if I even need to worry about that.

Anyway, another couple of repeating entries in the Windows error log:

Forceware Web Interface terminated with service specific error 1 (0x1)

The following boot-start or system-start driver failed to load: sptd

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So I've recently reformatted my computer (again) and I suspect I've gone and screwed up driver installations somewhere. Since my reformat I've had Bsod Stop errors of various types after I'd reinstalled all the drivers for my hardware. My Asus support cd errors out before allowing me to do anything. I've downloaded drivers directly from the Asus website and installed those, I've tried old and new drivers for my other hardware, like my video card, and run diagnostics on my RAM and hard drive.

What currently happens is my machine boots perfectly normal, Windows XP loads fine, and I'm able to go about my business as usual. Except for constant error events in the windows event log, and getting Bsod errors when running anything taxing on the system, like playing a game.

The Bsod error codes are somewhat varied, Kernal Data Inpage, IRQL Not Less or Equel to, and Kernal Stack Inpage errors. From what I've researched myself these error codes tend to point to memory, hard disks, and drivers most of the time. Again I've tested my RAM and HDD with no errors numerous times.

My concern here is that I must have overlooked or otherwise messed up the reinstallation of drivers. During Windows XP setup there is a brief period where you can install "drivers not found in Windows" and I'm wondering if I was supposed to have installed a driver at that time.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Alex4147?

Wow, you've been through a lot with this. When you say that you've reformatted and re-installed XP, and it is asking for "Drivers not found", what PCI cards are still present on the system? Windows XP shouldn't ask for drivers when installing on a MB alone. Network Card? Video Card?
SCSI device? (scanner?) You may want to start with all cards removed from the PCI slots and re-do the formatting and loading. Get the MB drivers installed and ready, then add any extra cards. Hope this helps...

(If you still have problems, check the PSU by trying to change it out. PSU's will sometimes give fluctuating current as they age)...

Advertisements

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well the two times I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows I did it with all my original hardware in place. I'm not a system builder, the most complicated hardware things I've done have been installing new video cards and RAM, and not even in this machine. And what I'm talking about are those few seconds where during XP setup it says something along the lines of "Press F6 to install drivers" to let you install drivers during Windows setup itself.

Right now however I seem to be back at square one. In my device manager I have only a single device disabled because Windows can't find a driver for it, and I'm not sure what driver it wants, or what the heck it really is. Its near the bottom of the list in the "SCSI and RAID controllers" section, currently listed as "AM6WOYBV IDE controller."

I'm attaching a full Everest report, with any luck a more complete picture of this machine can help someone help me.

Attached Files

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
From your report, the MB drivers are not installed. Until those are in odd things will keep on happening. I know the Asus website is a bit confusing and they use a Java script to find your drivers. I've attached a screen shot of the Support page from there site with the three choices filled in for the general download section.

asus_web.JPG

Once you have these choices in place, (you start at the top), click the green search button. It will pop up a window where you indicate your op system, then take you to their download page. Don't worry about the Bios updates. I'd try to take the latest drivers for all the other items. Download and install, starting with the chip set. Once the MB drivers are in, hopefully things will settle down.

Good luck and write back if this doesn't work...

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
See, that's where things are getting frustrating. I've plugged in the options the Asus website asks for and I get the list of downloads from them. I've downloaded the chipset and the Jmicron driver in the SATA section and tried to install them weeks ago. The chipset driver goes without problems, but right now while trying to install a driver for this "AM6WOYBV IDE controller" it starts to install then stops and tells me there was an error and that "the specified service does not exist as an installed service."

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried plugging in your OS drive into a different port?

Alex4147

Alex4147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes I've tried all 4 SATA ports on the motherboard, bios notices the switch perfectly fine. I've tested each individual RAM stick, run both windows and Seagate hard drive diagnostics, I've replaced the SATA cable between the HDD and the motherboard.

While trying to install drivers from the Asus website I get a popup saying "access is denied to c:\windows\system32\nvusmb.exe" which is some sort of uninstall file for the nvidia chipset. Starting to think I should just reformat and try this whole thing again. Third time's the charm and all that.

What I can't seem to find any definite answer on is if I should install a driver during that little window of opportunity during Windows XP setup. I was under the impression that was for making a RAID drive your system/OS drive, which again since I'm only using the one single hard drive and not a RAID setup, I've ignored that little message and let Windows go about its merry way. Really wishing I could get in touch with support at systemax and find out just how they got this thing working before shipping it to me, because it really seems like I'm just missing some step somewhere.

Now, if I do reformat again should I drop down to the bare bones of the system? Strip out my video, sound, and physics card, then install XP, then drivers from the Asus site, then install each card and its drivers one at a time?