Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway LT2016u Wireless Network Card Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

jbraaten

jbraaten

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I just recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition on a Gateway LT2016u. I had to do the reinstall with a standard XP Install CD not the one that came with the computer. After getting XP reinstalled I had to manually install the drivers. I have every driver installed however for some reason my Wireless Network Card wont work. I know that these gateways shipped with 3 different possible wireless cards, Broadcomm, Atheros, or Intel and I have determined that this one has the Atheros card. However I have also tried the other drivers offered from gateway just in case.

Any help would be appreciated as I am supposed to be doing this reinstall for a friend and he needs his netbook back quick.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So what is showing on device manager against the wireless card. OR is it not showing at all, or showing as an unknown device.
If all is in order there, does the wireless card connect to the router and NOT to the web
Basically more info of the actual problem as against "wont work" is required pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 June 2010 - 12:03 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Post a screenshot of Device Manager.

jbraaten

jbraaten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is showing up as an Unknown Device. So I don't have an option for a Wireless Connection.device_manager.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://support.gatew...s...&param=LT20

Here is the link to the drivers for the wireless card on the Gateway LT20
Clearly you have NOT installed the correct driver OR the driver has not installed correctly.
I would recommend downloading AGAIN AND SEE IF THAT HELPS.
I would also ensure all updates are installed for XP with SP`s.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 June 2010 - 04:26 PM.

jbraaten

jbraaten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device and drivers for it several times. I have tried several different methods of installing the drivers, running the setup file that is included in the driver download, as well as pointing the "Add new Hardware" prompt to look in the downloaded drivers folder. Running the included setup file says the drivers are installed correctly, and pointing the "Add New Hardware" prompt to the folder it says it cannot locate correct drivers.

EDIT: I also tried installing the other 2 drivers that are shown in the gateway drivers download menu, the same one you have linked to, in the event that this netbook does not have the atheros card.

Edited by jbraaten, 14 June 2010 - 04:28 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The wireless card in this netbook is a Gobi card by Qualcomm. There are many versions of this driver out there, and as best I can tell, there are several different drivers. This may not be a one size fits all solution, even among Verizon LT2016U netbooks, as slightly different revisions may have slightly different chips on the Gobi Card.

Start by opening device manager and looking at the properties of your Qualcomm HS-USB device. Click the details tab, and from the Properties dropdown, select Hardware Ids. My theory is that if the first line reads USB\VID_05C6&PID_9212&REV_0001&MI_03 then I have found the solution to your problem. You need the right version of the driver for your particular VID and PID combination. Most driver downloads have a readme file that show which versions they match up to. Once I found the right one for my system, I had to run 2 setup.exe files in the right order. The first was in a folder called FW and the other was the actual driver.

jbraaten

jbraaten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I looked at the device information and the ID's do match those that you have stated. Do you know where I can get the CORRECT drivers for those VID/PID combinations?

edit: Also this has been running through the back of my head Does the Qualcomm Gobi card manage the WiFi or only the 3g portion? Because it is my WiFi that I am having an issue with not the 3g. Because the 3g works and lights up, but not the WiFi - It is showing the Unknown Device still even with it detecting the Qualcomm Gobi HS-USB Device, so I think my problem is the other card.

Edited by jbraaten, 16 June 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry do not know the answer for certain but looking at the link I sent yout there is a very limited number of drivers for the 3G and the Wireless card that are suitable for XP.
It seems that the only possible solution now is to run one of the many programes available to analyse the computer and se what results that finds for the wireless card and 3G and bluetooth if so equipped.
I cannot help further

globalchicken

globalchicken

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have run into the same issue. I have gotten the 3G card to work with Verizon VZManager, but I still see the network controller as unknown and no drivers have helped.

Cctruck17

Cctruck17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Anybody figure this out? I now have the same problem. The wifi light will not come on at all. The 3G light comes on!!

jbizzel

jbizzel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK for some reason windows will not find the drivers for this device automatically. Download the 3 different drivers for this, mine was the Atheros version. Extract the drivers in to separate folders and go to the device and updated driver but choose to manual search and point it to the extracted drivers. One of them will be the correct driver.