Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP CLient Issues

• Please log in to reply

PeterD217

PeterD217

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all. o/

So, I'm new to this sorta online help thing but I grew up on computers. I could really use a bit of a helping hand here. Windows XP Home Edition computer requires manual DHCP startup through the admin tools > Services

Settings are all set to automatic.
Dependencies are set to run on system startup.
Dependencies are all intact in their default locations.
Client properties are set to restart service on all failures.

The essential issue is that I get stuck on acquiring network IP address. Read through other related forums on here and tried all of it, still no positive results. Any suggestions I could try?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

Let this run until you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system..

PeterD217

PeterD217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No disc available.

I had taken a look through the startup registries and something caught my eye.. Does anyone recognize the startup entry

c:/ >>> net.net