Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows/system32/config/system file is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

chippern73

chippern73

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a HP computer running Windows XP Media eddition.

I started it up this morning and got the following error message: "windows/system32/config/system file is missing or corrupt. You can attempt to repair this file be starting windows setup using origional setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I have lost the the startup disc that came with the computer. I have asked HP and Microsoft and they both cannot help me. So I am asking you for help.

I just read many of the threads/topics and see one thread that appears to have the whole process I need to take care of the issue. Should I use the information in the thread or can someone help me from the start? I can download and save files to a disk on another computer. Just need to know which files and if I can use any disc.

Thank you so much.

Chip

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can borrow the exact same version of Windows XP Media Edition (with the same Service Pack version if any) if you can and do a repair. It will not be a HP OEM version like the one they gave you when you bought your HP computer but you will still be able to try to repair the file mentioned.