Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Scheduler Script Help

• Please log in to reply

heated

heated

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi G2G,
I wanted to know if there was a batch that I can apply to Task Scheduler to automatically delete (temp) files located in folders like
"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary InternetFiles\Low\Content.IE5",
"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player",
etc. Basically all of those hidden or hard-to-find directories which leave behind tons of sensitive info.

I use a shared computer & for some reason, the other users refuse to give up on IE (with all of it's glaring vulnerabilities). What I'm left with is manually sifting through random file paths to delete all traces of activity (pretty juicy stuff left behind, I might add :)
Instead of feeling very awkward after seeing where they've visited, I'd like to automate the process a bit. Out of sight_Out of mind.
If possible, I'd like the task to be done after a user closes IE or logs off. If I'd be better off with a program that accomplishes this, then I guess I could try it, but I'd rather make use of tools that I already have.

Thank you...

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
heated-

Assuming you know how to write batch scripts...

Task Scheduler allows users to run events during startup (and logon). So... write the batch script to delete the temp files, then set the Task Scheduler to run the batch file when the user (you) logs on.

Let me know if you need help with anything else. :)

Edited by FNP, 14 June 2010 - 08:33 PM.

heated

heated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Can you please :) me?
I've never been confidant w/ coding... I don't want to risk messing up the registry or seeing a BSOD :)
Thanks for taking the time out, FNP; I know it should be pretty simple, but I can't take a chance (brand new, clean machine).

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Sure, I can help write the script. Basically, a batch file is just a text file that runs command prompt scripts all at once, rather than from the user's input at the command prompt. There's no way to screw up the registry or throw a BSOD using batch scripting (unless you're really trying to mess your system up).

So let's make sure we've got everything straight before we write some (basic) code:

You want to delete temp internet files from the system every time you log in to the computer. Is this correct?

I'm busy teaching at a kids music camp this week, so I will not be available until later tonight; we can work together then. Feel free to chime in until then. :)

heated

heated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Take all the time you need, man; I'm not in a rush. Besides, I know that you're all volunteering on your own free time, so I can be patient.

What I wanted to do is delete the temp files under multiple paths. If possible, I want it to wipe clean every time, either IE is closed or every time the other user logs out.

It's mostly the IE files I'm concerned with... I mean, there's junk left everywhere and in a lot of folders which are/were hidden. I use Firefox, w/ NoScript, Better Privacy, Adblock Plus, etc. so I'm not really worried about FF that much.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
There is a setting in IE to clear all temp files on exit. That doesn't clear those?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Huh, I didn't realize that setting existed. I never IE, so I wouldn't know. But Cold Titanium is right.

• In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced.
  • This will bring up a long list of settings. Near the bottom, under security, there is a checkbox setting called Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.
  • Check the box the use the setting.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I never use IE either, I just wondered if IE had a setting like that, so I looked.

@heated

Let us know if it works!

heated

heated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
^^Thanks, but that's not really going to do anything. I'm near certain that the IE user does this already, while also believing "private browsing" will cover up their traces; :) which is why I'm left sifting through a maze of appdata folders. Life would be sooo much easier if they'd just convert to FF. *sigh*

*I just want to write a script for Task Scheduler which will wipe multiple files/folders after a specific event, like when IE is closed, or the other user logs off.

Edited by heated, 23 June 2010 - 10:29 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Why are you sifting through appdata folders anyway? Odd.

Well, here's a basic batch script:

@echo off
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\index.dat
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat
rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5\index.dat
exit