Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

help setting up two router

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hi people. i am trying to help my cousin set up his network, but now im stuck because i did what i thought would work but it still not working. ok some intel that i think you should know first. i live in a different country than he is so i do not have physical access to the peripherals.
the ISP there uses this modem!? MODEM SPEEDSTREAM 5450
he said it it modem but the picture confuses me because it look like a router with no wireless.
the other router is NETGEAR WGR614 Wireless-G 54Mbps this is the one i bought for him.

he wants to setup a wireless network so he can access internet with his laptop.
i told him to wire one port from speedstream to the main internet port. that would bring the netgear router into the network and now he could use any port from netgear to connect his computer and set up his wireless by going to

the problem is that he did exactly this but the internet did not work.
i have attached the two periferal you can check the pics and let me know what im doing wrong

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Quim88
Hate to ask but has he run the disk that netgear send with the router ? they work well.
If he has run the disk and cannot connect then post back and we will trouble shoot.
Did he plug the modem into the yellow port on the back of the router or one of the lan ports ?
I assume that he can connect if plugged into the modem direct.

Edited by peterm, 19 June 2010 - 02:53 AM.