Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Freezing up

• Please log in to reply

EJSil

EJSil

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Windows7 OS just freezes up at random times although most of it occurs when Im playing WoW. I didnt have this problem until I changed my CPU case which I find rather strange.

Ive updated my GPU drivers as some recommended, however the number of crashes have not lowered at all.

Also I've read in the NVidia forums had a topic regarding driver problems with the DVI connector for NVidia Series 8 cards. But I still wonder why on earth did it start occurring soon after I changed my CPU casing, I've had 0 occurences prior to that change.

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
maybe the new case is not venting as good as the old one did ,remove the side cover and see how it goes

EJSil

EJSil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Considering vents, this new case would be better. Ive run stress testing for over 4 hours without having any temp reaching 70 using Everest. With my old case, Ive reached nearly 80.

Interestingly, my PC does not freeze during stress testing.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
it was just a thought !my next trouble shoot would be memtest86

EJSil

EJSil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
memtest86 reports no problem.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
"most of it occurs when Im playing WoW"
i know it started after the transfer t onew case ,so its something with the video card ,or maybe something shorting out in the new case ,not likely !
hard to tell from a distance .i would if it were mine ,take it out of the new case and just run it on my work bench and see what happens

EJSil

EJSil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Havent tried running the system out of the case, I didnt see this comment before I dismantled and re-built the system. I put masking tape on the screw holes for the Mobo before replacing them. It was fine for a day until I encountered a WoW-specific crash that didnt cause the entire unit to freeze, but got two freezes again later that night.

EJSil

EJSil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried different applications and games this time, I had my friends play Beat Hazard for half the day with zero occurences of system freeze but with a bit of slow down despite the hyper strobe and colors.

Making sizable photoshop images with high resolutions didnt result in any system freezes also. I may have to put more tests with other games ( I cant keep up with Beat Hazard anymore ). And will try running the WoW with the system off the case.

EJSil

EJSil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I noted one freeze when I disconnected my PC from our ADSL modem. This was when the unit was running out of the case. Maybe it's hardware related?

Could it be that I am looking at a possible Motherboard replacement? I've had problems with it already before, a black out, and an instance where SATA ports repeatedly failed to work unless I performed a CMOS reset and was finally solved when I replaced the CMOS battery.

archie1961

archie1961

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Things keep appearing in my history that ive not even visited. Internet keeps shutting down. There always seems to be a message in the bottom left hand corner on my pc saying done but with errors on page. Your help would be greatly appreciated.