Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn Worm.Conficker, Unable to access certain websites [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It's an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe.
I tried F11 and it stopped during the first BIOS screen and I got the "Warning: System BOOT Fail" and the "please enter setup to load default and reboot again" yada yada.

Advertisements

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Ok. Do you have access to a Vista CD? If so, you can do a repair that way. Otherwise, I'll check with someone here on the Tech staff to see if they can help, as this goes beyond my level of expertise.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Update, I managed to get into the edit boot options screen.
The screen has this information:

Edit Windows boot option for: Microsoft Windows Vista

Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 1
Hard Disk: 810d5a39.

The screen has a cursor in the bottom which I'm assuming is a command prompt. Should I try typing something in?

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
And about the Vista CD, I most likely do not have a copy of the 32-bit version.
My dad may have a Windows 7 CD or a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit version that he got free at his work.
Maybe it's about time for an upgrade? :)

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Okay, I'm going to see if I can get someone more knowledgeable to help out.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay.
A big thanks to you for being really patient with me and for helping me fix my computer. :)
Now I just have to fix it again. :)

Thanks again!

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Okay, I sent a message to see about getting some help. It may not be tonight, though, as there aren't any Tech staff online at the moment. In the meantime, you may want to see if you can find a Vista disk.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Good news.
I found a Windows 7 Enterprise disk, and since my dad is a MSDN subscriber, he got me a serial number for free.

Now, the question is, with an unbootable Windows Vista 32-bit, will I be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise with all my files safe and sound?

Oh the horror.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, now I'm down to a couple of options.
I kept searching and I found a Windows 7 Ultimate CD, which I prefer over Windows 7 Enterprise (who needs all that extra stuff anyway?). Miraculously, I could access the system repair option, but none of it worked. OS mismatch, lol.
So I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise (before I found the Win 7 Ultimate CD). In doing this I would have a cool OS and keep all my old files, but I ran into another problem. In order to upgrade without losing my data, I'd have to reboot on Vista (which I couldn't, obviously, BSOD error made it unbootable) and then insert the CD. So I gave up.

So my options are this. I can do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and lose all my files. This is perhaps the most impatient method. I surely do wish to keep my files though.

The second option is that I can wait until tomorrow night, maybe around 7 pm EST, when my dad comes home from work. He may be able to find a Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit cd at his workplace, though I doubt it because he only tells me he finds Ultimates there. (By the way, can Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit CDs repair my system?)

The third option, which is probably what I'm going to do, is open up the case and take out the hard drive and extract the files I want to another hard drive. This is most likely going to happen over the weekend, since my dad has the hard drive and will only be available this weekend. Then I can do a clean install of whatever OS I want (I'm thinking Windows 7 Ultimate) and transfer the files back and be happy.

Any other options, like maybe rip off a Windows Vista home premium cd off the internet, or suggestions, or comments or general hostility is welcome.

As for now, I'm just going to lay low (literally) and cruise on my netbook.

Thanks again for your help.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Okay, let's give this a shot (even though it says XP, it should work the same for Vista):

• Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot Try the Windows 7 disk you have
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in to the operating system to be repaired type the number corresponding to that operating system (usually 1).
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
  • When you get to the recovery console prompt, type

CD\

• Press Enter
  • Type

cd system~1\_resto~1

• Press Enter
  • Type

dir

• Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key until you reach the end of the list.
  • Type

cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list}

Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
  • Press Enter
  • Type

cd snapshot

• Press Enter
  • Type

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

• Press Enter
  • Type

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

• Press Enter
  • Type

Exit

• Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type

CD \

• Press Enter
  • Type

cd windows\system32\config

• Press Enter
  • Type

ren system system.bak

• Press Enter
  • Type

Exit

• Press Enter

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Thank you, rshaffer61!!

Let me know if this works.

Elster

Edited by Elster, 16 June 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Advertisements

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
As of right now I have the cmd.exe prompt open on my computer using the Windows 7 Enterprise disk. Awesome.

The thing is, the default drive is X:\>. I am assuming this is used specifically for the setup of Windows 7. I had to change the drive to C:\, though the command, "cd system~1\_resto~1" does not work in either drive. It says "The system cannot find the path specified. I guess I have to do something different? But I am glad to see my C:\ drive again. I see all the directories and files! :)

I do have an XP CD laying around in my dad's room. I could use this instead, if it makes any difference. But I guess a cmd prompt is a cmd prompt, and I am happy that it works.

I await your reply.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Okay, that was worth a shot. I have been informed that if you are able to obtain any Vista 32-bit disk, we'll be able to do a repair. So, if you can get that Ultimate disk, follow these instructions:

• Boot up with the Vista install disc, you should see a screen that says "Windows is loading files"
  • After a few minutes you will get a language option. Select your language and hit next.
  • On the install screen select "Repair your computer," Windows will find your copy of Vista on the machine
  • Select your copy of Vista and click next.

You will now see the following options:
  • Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt
Try the Startup Repair first. If that doesn't work, then go ahead and do a system restore to the 14th or 15th.

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks!

Elster

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Actually, I should have asked this before. When you tap F8 to get to the advanced boot options, do you have an option to repair your computer? If so, you won't even need a disk.

Elster

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I tried using the Startup Repair, had to use it twice to get the "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" screen. Here is a list of information that it gave me that may be useful.

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033"

Here is more diagnostic information from the Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log:

"Last successful boot time: 6/16/2010 12:53:24 PM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts = 1
---------------------------------
Root cause found:
A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2
Time taken = 359391 ms

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2
Time taken = 270015 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0xa
Time taken = 6469 ms

So, what's to do next? I could attempt the startup repair again. However, a more logical option would be to try at a system restore, which did give me errors when I tried it though. I just opened system restore and I see the screen! Here we go. I'll let you know if I encounter any errors.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Update, system restore did not work again. Here is some information.

"Details:
System restore faileddue to an unspecified error.
The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"

Are there any other options to fix a bad driver?