Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn Worm.Conficker, Unable to access certain websites [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Unfortunately, the system restore did not work.

Are there other options out there?

Advertisements

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
It's not looking good, my friend. I'm waiting to hear back from the Tech superstars. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.

Elster

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think I have an idea.

Because I have a bad driver somewhere, I can load up Window's default drivers using the "Load Drivers" feature on the Vista CD.
The thing is, I'm not sure which driver is the one causing the problems. I am not quite sure when the problem happened, whether if the cause is the video card driver being updated. I believe I attempted to update the video card drivers at a separate time when doing the updates.
I think the Service Pack 2 transition is what caused bad drivers to be installed. So the problem lies within the drivers installed during the Vista Service Pack 2 update. Or the drivers that weren't installed. Either one. Maybe I can check the error message of the BSOD, or whatever driver that freezes in safemode. I believe it could be crcdisk.sys. It is most likely crcdisk.sys. I'll give it a try.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I believe I narrowed down the problem.
I think the problem has to do with crcdisk.sys, and I did a little research on this problem and heard others had the same, too.
Crcdisk.sys is required for safemode to boot, though the problem is that my computer freezes right on Crcdisk.sys.
This could potentially be one of the problems (and hopefully be the only ONE), though I do believe I get a quick 'n brief BSOD after Crcdisk.sys fails to load.

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Using the command console on the Vista CD, I have managed to get into the directory of drivers (located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers). Common sense to go directly to the site of the problem (no puns intended lol).

I now have a list of drivers in front of me, though I am unsure of what course of action to take. Reading other people's problems, I have been told to rename or delete certain drivers (I can provide a list if necessary) so that Vista will in a way 'reset' the driver to something that works. I believe this is an ideal solution, but will wait for an OK signal, or if anyone helping me wants me to try something else.

For now I will just do a little more research on this whole 'crcdisk.sys' driver.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hi Mangoloid,

I'm sorry, but I have no further options for you at this time, other than a re-installation of your operating system. You may try posting in the Tech Forum. I've been consulting with some of the tech staff, but someone over there may have a different idea about getting around this. Should you opt to go that route, reference this post so that they know what the issue is and where you are at.

Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks, and sorry,

Elster

Mangoloid

Mangoloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Elster.

I have an update for you.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit is awesome.

It's always awesome how things turn out for the best, you know? Believe it, things surely do happen for a reason. :)

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hello Mangoloid!

Glad it worked out okay for you! I, too, recently made the switch to Win7 and love it. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out. Stick around and enjoy the forums. There are plenty of wonderful people here!

Thanks!

Elster

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.