Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting ntfs partition

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
On my old computer with ME on it and FAT 32 file system, I would just use an ME boot floppy to fdisk or format my C: drive and would use Ghost to install a Ghost image from another drive onto C:. Now that I'm using XP and the NTFS file system, how do I format C:?When I tried using my ME boot disk to format C: which was NTFS, everything got all screwed up. I know if I'm doing a fresh XP install to just insert the XP disk and choose to let the XP disk format the C: drive and finish installing XP, but I want to just format C: so that I can just boot from my Ghost cd and restore C: with a Ghost image from another drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

DMGuildmaster

DMGuildmaster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I used Partion Magic to format one of my drives. But you have to purchase it. I am sure there is a Freeware software that will allow you to format drives in NTFS, I just don't know what they are.

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hey

can anybody help me i am currently on windows 98 but attempting to upgrade to xp only problem is that when its copying the files a few cannot be copied such as msvidctl.dll, tsbvcap.sys tsbyuv.dll and hivecls.inf i am new to this stuff so not sure wot to do if i create a new partition and install xp would this help as it is on fat 32 would formatting to ntfs help

hope someone can help me

fernsy

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
fernsy,

please make a new thread by creating a new topic.

Win 98 installs on FAT32 partitions while Win XP on NTFS file formats.

visit http://www.bootdisk.com

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, little fuzzy here.

you don;t need to format c: to restore the image an image is a bit by bit reproduction of the drive that was the image--including the file system

You can format with the windows xp cd, and just choose format if you like, though---just stop the process when the format is complete---don't know if there is any value in that.

you can also use any number of third party tools--including those that come with the drive on a cd or floppy to format the drive--or use the ultimate bootdisk, which includes/collects many of these utilities

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good call kool. did not notice it was a new poster