Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VPN Endpoint

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm in the market for a VPN endpoint for my house. I picked up an iPad and a really nice app that will allow me to access my NAS files over a 3G connection. Currently I'm running the Verizon FIOS Actiontec router (DHCP disabled) and handle my internal traffic with my DLink DIR-625. The problem is that the DLink only supports VPN pass-through and won't act as an endpoint. I really don't want to replace the DIR-625 because everything is setup, ports are forwarded and it's functioning properly.

I was looking for an endpoint only, with no routing, if that even exists. I wanted to dump it on the backside of the DLink and just forward the appropriate IPSec ports. Anyone know of anything like that?

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
technically if you've got a windows machine you could set up a PPtP vpn or L2TP directly on the computer, of course, windows can't do IPSec which is what is best for security out of the 3

unfortunately i can't think of any VPN endpoints that aren't routers or firewalls in and of themselves so you're probably going to have to go that route. in theory you could just turn off all the routing and firewall capabilities of the device and just use the VPN portion.

i'm a big fan of the Cisco 5500 (or 5505 or 5510) ASA firewalls. you can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks off of ebay. that's probably overkill for you, but they're REALLY fun to play with

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That Cisco looks nice, but like you said, I really don't want to spend that much on an endpoint.

I figured I would end up having to use a router and just disable everything, but just wanted to check.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could alternately build your own http://www.jacco2.dd...eswan-l2tp.html

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What about reflashing a linksys router with DDWRT and setting up OpenVPN?