Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freshly reformatted laptop

• Please log in to reply

D Win

D Win

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Now I need some help installing some apps that can make my computer safe from surfing the web and also a gaming type. What are some apps that can help me make my computer faster?

Advertisements

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
After a fresh install of an OS it is a good idea to install some security software. Check out this list of free AV's for some idea's of what AV to pick: Free AV programs

I personally recommend staying away from all registry cleaners, although they say they can speed up your machine they can cause issues such as unbootable OSes.

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
With a fresh install of an OS there isn't much you can do to "make it go faster". As far as software goes:

Anti-Virus (I use Avast Personal Edition, but its your choice) Remember Just because It has A Price Tag Doesn't Mean it's Better!
CCleaner (By far the easiest, safest, and most efficient hard drive and registry cleaner)
Another Browser (Other than IE) IE has many security flaws and makes your computer all the more vulnerable!

Those are the extreme basics! There is a free service called Ninite that not only installs the selected software for you without installing the add ons included in the installers (ex. Toolbars, Viruses) but gives you a pretty vast list of software to install!

Happy Computing,
Marc Billow :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are no apps that will make a freshly formatted computer faster.
Here are a couple links from Geeks to Go that offer suggestions.

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software
Maintaining your Machine

CCleaner (By far the easiest, safest, and most efficient hard drive and registry cleaner)

We at Geeks to go do not recommend Ccleaner due to users using the registry cleaner and then getting into trouble.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

We at Geeks to go do not recommend Ccleaner due to users using the registry cleaner and then getting into trouble.

Its good as long as you stay away from that section of it.....

Edited by Marc Billow, 17 June 2010 - 07:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Keep a eye on your Autoruns and your Msconfig Startups
These will slow down a system as more is added to them.
Regular maintenance with cleaning temp files using something like ATF or TFC to do this.
Doing regular defrag using any number of the defrag available. I personally like Auslogics Defrag
Uninstalling old programs completely using Add\Remove Programs in the Control Panel
Check to make sure you have at least a gig of memory as that seems to be the sweet spot with XP.
If you are unsure how much total memory your system will take then Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.