Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor to text typing rate has gone bad.

• Please log in to reply

VerbatimEB

VerbatimEB

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello - I think I posted this in the wrong place, so here it is again...

I don't know if I did something, reset something or what. BUT, just a few days ago, this seemed to change and I cannot figure it out.

When I type text, the cursor is a good few words behind. IF I am typing an aritcle it can be as much as a full line behind. UNacceptable! I need to see what I am typing as I type it in. I've never seen this happen before on this or any other computer. Just typing this request is hard and if there is a mistake it is not just a matter of a backspace. Backspacing is also unbelieveably slow.

How on earth did this happen and how can I fix it?
Goin' nuts here! :)

Verb

Edited by VerbatimEB, 15 June 2010 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have an ATI card and have install the Control Center try this.

Disable the ATI HotKey Poller service in Windows.

On XP Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services, I am not sure of the path for VISTA

You should see the ATI HotKey Poller Services listed. Right Click on it and select properties. Halfway down the screen you should see the "Startup type." Choose disabled from the drop-down list, click apply, close out all applications and reboot. This should resolve your issues.

Hope this helps

VerbatimEB

VerbatimEB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank You Alzheimer. :)

I have no idea if I have the Control Center installed however, I do have the ATI Radeon Graphics card.
Wow - that's a long list of doo-dad services! I do not find "ATI HotKey Poller Services" listed but do have this:

CNG Key Isolation
which says this:
The CNG Key Isolation service is hosted in the LSA process. The service provides key process isolation to private keys and associated cryptographic operations as required by the Common Criteria. The service stores and uses long-lived keys in a secure process complying with Common Criteria requirements.

I am guessing it is not the same item you described. :)

Any more suggestions? ALSO, sometimes when I am typing the cursor moves to the beginning of the line or a random place in a document. This, also is a new thing, and drops my productivity to about HALF. Yikes!

:)

Verb

VerbatimEB

VerbatimEB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank You Alzheimer. :)

I have no idea if I have the Control Center installed however, I do have the ATI Radeon Graphics card.
Wow - that's a long list of doo-dad services! I do not find "ATI HotKey Poller Services" listed but do have this:

CNG Key Isolation
which says this:
The CNG Key Isolation service is hosted in the LSA process. The service provides key process isolation to private keys and associated cryptographic operations as required by the Common Criteria. The service stores and uses long-lived keys in a secure process complying with Common Criteria requirements.

I am guessing it is not the same item you described. :)

Any more suggestions? ALSO, sometimes when I am typing the cursor moves to the beginning of the line or a random place in a document. This, also is a new thing, and drops my productivity to about HALF. Yikes!

:)

Verb

VerbatimEB

VerbatimEB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Who woudda thunk it?

I cleaned out the fan and keyboard - problem solved.

Dust bunnies in the works gooed it all up.

Sheesh...

Verb