Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot in safe mode... not at all anymore

• Please log in to reply

fat sal

fat sal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had the aurora spyware adn i was doing everything in my power to get rid of it, so inevitably every site said i had to run my computer in safe mode.

I went to 'run', typed in 'msconfig', went to the 'boot.ini' section and checked reboot in safe mode. Then i reset my computer. It runs through much of its normal boot, starts loading xp, flashes blue and then resets. I kept trying it and a new screen came up (same screen you usually get pressing f8) asking if i wanted to start the computer in three different types of safe mode, or the last known working setting, or just run windows normally, and all yield the same results- my computer resets upon loading windows.

Then i ran the boot disk for my computer and it said that my computer model wasn't recognized.

Please help, the computer i'm typing on is a tank.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hello Im steve. Just out of curiousity, how far along in the boot does it get? Where does it stop, or reset, as you say?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
And, what boot disk is it that you are reffering to?

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The boot disk came with the computer... a blue screen- same color as my default windows background comes up, a mouse pointer appears on the screen, and then a message comes up that says 'cannot use this recovery disk for this computer, confirm model type'

My model type is a sony vaio pcv rxa842

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i don't know if it's the microsoft website, but everywhere (at least at this present time) doesn't have the info for a bootable cd for windows xp home sp2.

Somehow i need a cd to temporarily change the boot.ini file until i can get into windows and change the real thing... boot discs do that, right?

Edited by fat sal, 23 May 2005 - 01:35 AM.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hello this is steve again...short break for work and such. So your boot disk complains about being the wrong disk? My reasoning is that it is the wrong disk or corrupt in some manner. A possible solution would be to contact the OEM (original equipment manufacturer (like if its a dell or gateway) and ask for a new disk. They probably might be able to replace it even if they charge a small amount. Tell them yours is corrupt. Youll need the COA # from the original disk that came with the computer, thats Certificate of authenticity.
The only other idea i have is to create a boot cd disk like bart's PE. ive told others about this disk, after creation, it will boot you into a partial windows XP gui that will allow direct access to the hard drive even if its formatted in the NTFS file system . This will then allow you to have full easy maipulation of the C:\ dirve where your OS resides. You can do many proceddures including a registry repair / replacement very easily, among other things. The website for this revolutionary tool : http://www.reatogo.de/ be ready for a lot of time comsuming configurations, but the tool (code) is FREE!

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh and i forgot, how has your CD drive been operating? perhaps its not reading the CD correctly?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Just an entry to make this thread visible at the top of the list again. Does antybody else have any other ideas?

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i haven't checked this in a day or so, so here's what i did-
i downloaded the xp sp2 setup disk things, i ran my computer, i asked for the system recovery, then it asked me for the administrator password. I am the administrator, so i typed in my password, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to figure out that password without getting into windows?

i'll try your idea and respond a little later

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Sal, the password is case sensitive so are you being careful? Do you have another account? If so try that one. If all else fails, you might try to blank the password. Remember, if you try something like this and if messes up your computer, you are responsible, however, i have used this method myself with satisfactory results. (not to say that you will though) but what have you got to lose at this point?

Heres the link to "Austrumi"

http://www.petri.co...._password.htm#1

This little tool is a Linux bootable ISO image for recovering NT passwords and other cool tools and methods, sized for Business Card size CD media (50Mb). It allows you to change any password, including that of the Administrator, on a partition occupied by Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Simply boot the CD and when you get to the initial boot prompt, type:

boot: nt_pass

This will launch a console utility that will detect Windows partitions on the hard disk and provide you with a menu to modify any user or Administrator passwords on the Windows system. It will even give access to the Windows registry for recovery purposes. Quite a handy utility to keep in your wallet (AUSTRUMI is small enough to fit on a business card-size CD)
Read more at http://sourceforge.n...ojects/austrumi

Sal, youll need to know how to burn an ISO to CD disk. Nero program can do this, as well as other cd burning programs. Follow the instructions to burn an ISO to CD disk.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh, and dont change the password, "blank it". it will give instructions on how to do that in the info/help files.

Sal, also, if you decide to go the route of building barts PE, its a big task and time consumming and is past intermediate stage in the learning process. Lots to read,understand and configure but with average intelligence and patience, it can be done.

fat sal

fat sal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
allrgiht, i figured out how to make the boot screen come up.

is there a way to change the boot.ini file from the prompt it shows me?

it looks like old dos and says <C:\windows>:
or something down those lines. if i can cahnge that file to turn the safeboot off that would be nice and easy...

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
is there a way to change the boot.ini file from the prompt it shows me?

it looks like old dos and says <C:\windows>:
or something down those lines. if i can cahnge that file to turn the safeboot off that would be nice and easy...

Im not sure i understand your request to "turn the safeboot off ", but if you want to navagate to your boot.ini file, you probably know its in the root directory? right? So youd have to go to the root directory and somhow "edit" this file. Heres where it may be tricky. In the old days with windows 9x, you could do this relatively easily, if you knew DOS syntax. Ill have to look up what works while you are at the recovery console, not sure "edit" still works, as i dont use the rec console much sal.

anyway, if edit works, thats how you can change whats written in that boot.ini file, ok?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Wait a minute, the boot.ini file and boot.ini from the msconfig panel may be 2 different things sal, im not sure they are the same.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I checked in the msconfig and yes it is the same file!

(I went to 'run', typed in 'msconfig', went to the 'boot.ini' section and checked reboot in safe mode)

sal, im not understanding this, i dont see a "reboot in safe mode" option. I see a boot options---safe boot, is this what you mean?