Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual-boot screen without dual-boot...

• Please log in to reply

couber

couber

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

I recently tried a new installation for ubuntu 9.10 using wubi. Unfortunatelly, it constantly crashed(it didn't start and i suspect there was some sort of problem with grub) and i decided to abandon it. So i uninstalled wubi. After rebooting, grub continues to show the dual-boot options: "Windows XP" and "Ubuntu"!

Windows boots normally and without problems and unitll now i haven't noticed any problem.

when selecting the second option (out of curiosity trying to understand if there is something wrong)I get this message:
(translation form greek)"windows couldn't boot <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll is corrupted or deleted Install a copy of this file"

Any suggestions on how to remove the "Ubuntu" option or at least repair this file?
In the near future, I will try to install Ubuntu 9.10 manually using a CD, dual-boot with WInXP. Will this problem affect my installation?

Thanks

Edited by couber, 15 June 2010 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
couber,

If you still have your Windows XP disk, you should be able to boot off of it (instructions below). From there you should be able to select the "Repair" option. This would then detect the Windows Boot Loader isn't the system's default and will then correct it! If that doesnt work, post back here and we can go through some more options!

How To Boot Off A Disk:
-Press Computer Power Button
-When you reach the BIOS screen (screen with manufacturers logo) you need to find the Function (F1-12) that opens "Boot Option" (or a similar title)
- This is usually listed on the BIOS screen
-Select Your Disk Drive(Windows XP disk needs to be in the drive)
-After the disk loads there should be a repair option, click it!
-Follow any instructions it gives you and you should be back to normal!

Marc Billow

couber

couber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks I'll try it tomorrow and I'll come back with results. Thanks!!!!

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
More Than Welcome, Thanks For Using Geeks to Go! :)

couber

couber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

couber,

If you still have your Windows XP disk, you should be able to boot off of it (instructions below). From there you should be able to select the "Repair" option. This would then detect the Windows Boot Loader isn't the system's default and will then correct it! If that doesnt work, post back here and we can go through some more options!

How To Boot Off A Disk:
-Press Computer Power Button
-When you reach the BIOS screen (screen with manufacturers logo) you need to find the Function (F1-12) that opens "Boot Option" (or a similar title)
- This is usually listed on the BIOS screen
-Select Your Disk Drive(Windows XP disk needs to be in the drive)
-After the disk loads there should be a repair option, click it!
-Follow any instructions it gives you and you should be back to normal!

Marc Billow

One question?(it occured me when iwas about to start)
Is there any possibility that this "repair" locks down my WinXP?
Is any possibility of losing everything?
What could go wrong???

...Well thats three questions...sorry :)

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
couber,

No, you wont loose anything! :)

couber

couber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Fast reply!!!