Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Selecting Shutdown/Restart Twice

• Please log in to reply

jetface

jetface

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I just had my system cleaned of malware in another forum and I would like to get help on another topic. That being when I select either Restart or Shutdown from Start panel - I have to select the option more than once before my computer does the action. Any ideas on what is causing this? It is quite annoying! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

DaltonS

DaltonS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My suggestion would have to be that your computer is just not recognizing the cursor clicking the option... More than likely just because your computer is fairly old and worn out. Nothing really to worry about I would say.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Click Start | Run, type in:

shutdown -s -t 0 -f

and press [Enter].

If this command shuts your computer down, create a shortcut on your Desktop or in QuickLaunch using that same command.

jetface

jetface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks Spyware Dr. What would be the command for restart that I could save as a shortcut?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Restart:

shutdown -r -t 0 -f

At a cmd prompt, type::

shutdown /?

(and press [Enter]) for more info.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You might want to take a look at the MS User Profile Hive Cleanup Utility. Keep in mind, that I have never personally used this tool, but have seen it work for people in the past with similar problems.