Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Creating a path for intranet

• Please log in to reply

Carolineh10

Carolineh10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

My question is: I work for a company who is setting up training via a website called VTA. In this website, I'm able to drop a command link for attaching a document to a lesson I'm creating. In this case the "document" is powerpoint slides. These slides need to be taken from a company drive, call it "X" drive, and then sent to other computers throughout the intranet. I'm having trouble creating a path that would allow users from other office branches open the files, but for security reasons, not be able to tamper with it, or any other files on "X" drive.
Right now, my coding syntax is file://///"X"|/"Training"/"Course Development"/"Courses"/"Safety"/"SAFETY.PPT" (without the quotation marks, of course, I'm just giving an example.) This coding works for my branch but I don't want to have to use "X" as the drive, because other branches won't have an "X" drive, they have a "T" drive, or something to that effect.
Does this make any sense to anyone? Any help would be appreciated. I can give a little more info if needed.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Have you tried the relative path?:

../../Training/Course%20Development/Courses/Safety/SAFETY.PPT
Always a bad idea to use whitespace in file paths, too, which occurs when you have folders/file names with spaces: Course Development. Better as something like:

CourseDevelopment
Course-Development
Course_Development

or, use the character entity (%20) for spaces. Not sure how many "../" you have to use to have the correct path.

Father0fNine

Father0fNine

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
You might try using the entire server path that "X:" is mapped to. "X" is just a shortcut to \\SERVER\SHARENAME.

Carolineh10

Carolineh10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The relative path didn't work either. I tried multiple combinations of "../"

Do you mean My Computer? That's where the X:// Drive is coming out of.

Father0fNine

Father0fNine

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
It depends on the version of Windows and you will have to know how your X: is set up. My X drive is linked to a share that is called campus-data on a computer named USERDATA so my path looks something like \\USERDATA\CAMPUS-DATA.

Since this is for a company, you will have to check with your IT department for details on your "X" drive.

But....

If you want my opinion, I would either use Sharepoint or have an intranet webserver installed where you can offer the file.

Carolineh10

Carolineh10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I'll give my IT dept. a call. I was trying to solve this one alone, but thanks for your help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

If you want my opinion, I would either use Sharepoint or have an intranet webserver installed where you can offer the file.

i agree with the sharepoint option as well. if you've got a windows 2003 (or newer) server in the building you can run WSS (Windows Sharepoint Services) for free and do all the document sharing you like without having to worry about file paths.