Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Disk Failure

• Please log in to reply

zero_ken13

zero_ken13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a new Sata Hard Disk from Western Digital it has 160GB of Space and it's Product code is WD1600AJS. Well at first it worked fine I have installed a Windows 7 32 bit just to try it out after my installation I decided to install a windows XP from the partition that I made earlier, just after the reboot from the final set up my hard disk doesn't already boots i stuck in my computer start up (where the computer detects the ram) I press the Del. button to enter the bios but nothing happens, and also my motherboard is only supporting sata 150 and if I'm not mistaken my WD HD is a sata 300 device, is that can cause my hard disk to fail, I'm sorry I'm not very good in english but I hope you can help me guys here are my computer specs for now, i removed my WD hard disk because if i put it in I can't use my machine. (sorry if its junk already =) )

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 531
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
2.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 199MHz 3-3-3-8
Motherboard
ECS P4M800-M7 (CPU 1)
Graphics
505G @ 1024x768
256MB GeForce FX 5500 (Undefined)
Hard Drives
40.21GB Hitachi HDS728040PLAT20 (IDE) 38 įC
39.08GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3402111A (IDE) 40 įC
39.08GB Seagate ST340016A (IDE) 38 įC
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L
XWVM RST2NW9INK5A SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

Here's what happened before the problem occured:

During my Installation of my windows 7 ultimate 32bit, when I decided to create a partition... a question popped out and I canít remember it exactly but it says that I should choose the yes button if Iím planning to add a partition to reduce the risk of data loss or data corruption something like that. Then when I chose the yes button another partition appeared itís labeled D: and only has 100mb of space Iíve ignored it and created another partition for my XP installation later, after I installed the w7 I used it for a bit to make sure itís fine and when I decided to install my favorite windows XP Sp 3 the pitfalls started, I will try to say what happened before the problem occurred: first I hit the boot menu button and my machine read the CD afterward I choose the partition that I created earlier, the format process successfully finished and the second part (which is the copying of files if I'm not mistaken) also succeeded, after those 2 processes, my computer has show a message that it will reboot in 15 seconds then press ENTER to reboot now. I just waited for the execution of that text, and then my problem started to come up my computer freezes at the start up whenever the SATA HDD is connected in my computer.
I also tried to put the Jumpers on every part of it but I'm still having no luck. I guess I'm really hopeless what's worst is the HDD was only a gift of my friend this HDD is a brand new one and he just kept it for already 1 year and then decided to give it to me, we'll here at the Philippines Electronic Shops only provide a year for the warranty service so if my hard disk is really hopeless I guess I have no choice but to buy a new one T_T.
But I hope you guys can help me solved my problem ^_^ my hard disks is still emits heat so I think it has no problems when it comes to powering the device.

Advertisements