Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead Dell XPS710

• Please log in to reply

Siara

Siara

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently my Dell XPS710 motherboard died (what a nuisance). From what I've read, the motherboards on this model computer tend to die after 2 years and... sure enough. Rather than replace the motherboard I want to build or buy a new computer.

If possible, I'd like to reuse some of the Dell hardware I already have.

I probably can reuse the SATA hard drive without difficulty. So the new computer can have a small drive or no drive.

Should I try to reuse: nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256MB PCI-e Video Card?
It requires PCI-express x16 slot and adequate power supply. I'm not into gaming but I do a lot of graphics including 3D design and animation.

Is there any chance I can reuse the CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6320
(4MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066 FSB)

If not, I would like new computer to have this much computing power or more. The most computer intensive apps I use are probably Lightwave #D (NewTek), and Adobe Premiere, which I run simultaneously.

I'm a 3D developer who doesn't know much about computers so any advice would be very, very appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

It would be possible to re-use that processor, but it would be limiting the build to previously released hardware. I recommend updating to the most recent, considering your uses for the machine.

What sort of budget are you looking at for this "fix"?

Troy